Home / Health / Florida man dies after eating raw oysters tainted with "meat-eating" bacteria

Florida man dies after eating raw oysters tainted with "meat-eating" bacteria

A 71-year-old Florida man died after eating raw oysters contaminated with a carnivorous bacterium.

The man ate oysters contaminated with Vibrio Vulnificus on July 8 and died two days later, the Florida Department of Public Health said. The name of the man or restaurant in which he ate was not published.

According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 80,000 people worldwide die from vibriosis and 100 people die from their infection.

Vibrio disease symptoms can be diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, chills, fever, shock, skin lesions and collapse and wound infections. Vibrio is lethal in about half of the cases in which it enters the bloodstream, a condition that typically occurs in immunocompromised patients.

According to the Florida Department of Public Health, there have been 1

6 Vibrio cases this year, with three deaths. Last year, 49 cases with 11 deaths were reported.

Vibrio bacteria are found in warm waters, such as in a bay or in the Gulf of Mexico, and in contaminated seafood. Anyone with a weakened immune system, cancer, diabetes, liver disease and other chronic conditions should avoid eating raw or uncooked shellfish, especially oysters, health officials advise. You should also avoid getting into the water if you have an open wound.

How to prevent Vibrio vulnificus infections:

  • Do not eat raw oysters or other raw shellfish
  • Cook shellfish (oysters, clams, (19659009) For shellfish in shell, either boil until themselves open the skins, and continue to boil for another 5 minutes or steam until the skins open and then continue to cook for another 9 minutes .Do not eat shellfish that do not open when cooking.Cook oysters at least 3 minutes, or fry them in oil at least 10 minutes at 375 degrees F.
  • Avoid cross contamination of cooked seafood and other raw seafood ingredients and raw seafood juices.
  • Eat shellfish immediately after cooking and chilling residues.
  • Avoid exposing open ones Wounds or broken skin against warm salt or brackish water or raw shellfish harvested from such waters [19659009] Wear protective clothing such as gloves when handling raw shellfish.

Source link