ELLENTON, Fla. – A Florida woman died of a carnivorous bacterium two weeks after cutting on the beach, her family says.
Lynn Fleming died on Wednesday after suffering from the bacteria known as necrotizing fasciitis. WTVT reports.
Fleming's family says she cut herself after falling when she was walking along Coquina Beach on Anna Maria Island on Florida's west coast.
The family says they did not think much about the cut since it was so small. A few days later, Fleming went to the doctor and received a tetanus shot.
The day after the doctor's visit, however, Fleming was found unconscious in her home.
Doctors said she contracted a necrotizing fasciitis and performed multiple surgeries on the infected leg to save her life. During the operations, Fleming suffered two strokes and sepsis.
Fleming was reportedly surrounded by her son and daughter-in-law when she died.
Wade Fleming and his wife Traci now warn others of the dangers of necrotizing fasciitis and are on the lookout for the signs, especially if you are cutting yourself on the beach.