Oscar-winning actor Geoffrey Rush has been slandering the Daily Telegraph newspaper in his native Australia, owned by News Corp. is won. The newspaper had published a story in which the actress accused Erin Norvill Rush of inappropriate sexual behavior during a stage production of "King Lear" in Sydney.
Judge Michael Wigney called the report on Thursday "a ruthlessly irresponsible part of sensational journalism" She relied on allegations of a prosecutor "prone to exaggerations and embellishments". Norvill, who spoke after the verdict outside the courtroom, said she stood by her statement.
Wigney awarded Rush a $ 850,000 ($ 600,000) in a serious damage. It is expected that the actor will receive further payments for loss of earnings at another hearing in May.
After leaving the courtroom, Rush said he was grateful for the verdict. He added, "In this case, there are no winners. It was extremely disturbing for everyone involved. "Details of the case were heard by the court in October and November. At the beginning of the trial, Rush said the time between the appearance of the allegations and the trial had been "the worst 1
The newspaper published the allegations under the heading "King Empty" and in a second story under the heading "Star's Bard Behavior". The newspaper denied in its defense that Rush was a sexual predator and a pervert, and said the stories had included Rush's refusals. In the articles, Norvill was not named as a prosecutor.
Wigney gave his verdict and said, "I was ultimately unconvinced that Mrs. Norvill was an absolutely believable witness." He said that her statement was not supported by the evidence of the theater director Neil Armfield or the actors Robyn Nevin and Helen Buday.
The judge said he had considered a special loss for Rush, as the actor would probably not receive any significant job offers for 12 months after the film "justifying his reputation." Rush could then be paid 50% of his usual rate for the first 12 to 18 months, and 75% for the next 18 to 24 months, Wigney said.