Roger Stone, the former adviser to President Donald Trump, said Thursday that he was concerned that leaving bars would be a “death penalty” for him – but he was “optimistic” that his old friend would come to the rescue.
“Do you know what I call it? I call it the death penalty, that’s what I call it. I have serious concerns that if I go there in my age and condition, I may not see my appeal in a year, “said Stone, 68, in an interview on SiriusXM’s” Jim Norton & Sam Roberts Show ” .
Stone is scheduled to serve his 40-month prison sentence from July 1
He has asked an appeals court to postpone his handover date until September 3, citing concerns about the corona virus. “He is at significant risk from serious health consequences, including death, if his delivery date is not extended,” Stone’s lawyers said in a file earlier this week.
On Thursday, Department of Justice lawyers, who had originally opposed Stone’s request for a delay until September, said the agency agreed to the judge who ordered Stone to surrender next week – two weeks later than expected to go to prison.
Stone said he was “optimistic” that Trump, whom he had long encouraged to run for president, would still come to his rescue.
“I’m trying to read what he thinks about his tweets … His tweets were very critical of my law enforcement, critical of my trial, very supportive,” Stone told SiriusXM.
He said Trump could give him an apology, “or more likely, he could just change my judgment, which means that I still have to fight in the appeal process, which I honestly want to do because I want to have the opportunity to use my name clarify. ” ”
Mark Meadows, chief of staff of the White House, told reporters that he did not know whether Trump would intervene in the case, but suggested that a decision be made soon.
“With Roger Stone planning to report to detention, this decision, whether to be made or not, will become increasingly important in the coming days if we want to keep Roger Stone, who is progressing in age and health, from reporting” said Meadows.
In his radio interview, Stone also complained that Facebook closed its accounts, including Instagram, for allegedly using bogus accounts to deliver non-partisan, conservative political news to the home crowd.
“The allegations that I owned hundreds of fake Facebook pages are categorically wrong. It’s just not true, “Stone said, adding,” most of my Instagram posts were humorous, I think these guys don’t like comedy. “