With a little help from an inhaler, Greg Hardy celebrated his third UFC victory on Friday night – until he disappeared.
The controversial heavyweight hit Ben Sosoli in the UFC on the ESPN 6 major card at Boston TD Garden. He also slowed noticeably at the end of the second lap and breathed heavily.
Between the rounds, Hardy (5-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) was hit by an inhaler. Then he went out and finished the third and was originally awarded a unanimous decision over scores of 30-27 down the line. However, this result was reversed and later considered by the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission to be non-competition because of Hardy's inhaler use.
"I was in the ring. Me and my coach asked the commission if it was okay to use my inhaler, and they said yes, so I took it, "said Hardy. "I'm still a new guy in this sport, I did what I did in every situation: I asked for permission, I got the permission and did as I was told."
According to Kevin Iole of Sports UFC President Dana White, the use of the inhaler has been approved, but this is not the case in the end.
Hardy showed improved punch, footwork and speed over 15 minutes Each time his smaller enemy arrived, he landed crisp kicks and kicked Sosoli (7-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) during the fight.
Sosoli, who did not look like some of Hardy's previous opponents, kicked , but occasionally landed heavy hands, but could not detect a lingering offense.
It's the second controversial outcome for Hardy in the UFC when his advertising debut in January, Hardy was disqualified because he was in a fight with Allen Cro who had thrown an illegal knee.
Recent UFC Results at ESPN 6:
- Greg Hardy def. Ben Sosoli by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Joe Lauzon defeated. Jonathan Pearce on TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:33
- Maycee Barber defeated. Gillian Robertson via TKO (punches and elbows – Round 1, 3:04)
- Darren Stewart defeated Deron Winn via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Charles Rosa defeated Manny Bermudez via Original (Armbar) – Round 1, 2:46
- Molly McCann def. Diana Belbita by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Sean Woodson defeated Kyle Bochniak by unanimous decision (30-26 , 30-27, 30-27)
- Brendan Allen defeated Kevin Holland by batting his back – Round 2, 3:38
- Sean Brady defeated Court McGee by a unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27 , 30-27)
- Randy Costa defeated Boston Salmon by TKO (beats) – Round 1, 2:15
- Tanner Boser defeated Daniel Spitz by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)  UFC on ESPN 6: Official Scorecards from Boston
See 11 photos