With the implementation of GST in 2017, It has changed the way Indians pay and manage taxes. There has been a debate that continues to this day, whether GST has been a success or failure to the country, but there is no denying that it has created a significant impact. Implementing one single tax in place of multiple taxes was the epitome of the new tax law. One of the pathbreaking decisions the GST Council made was to launch the online GST portal. It created a sense of ease and gave more control to taxpayers. The intuitive interface of the GST portal developed by IBM managed to make the user experience smooth. The ease with which anyone with limited knowledge of filing taxes can perform important tasks has made a remarkable impact. Other than the GST portal, you can manage taxes through software. But before choosing, you should gain some knowledge about GST software and its functions because not all software gives you everything that you might need. With technological advances in tax filing software, its now just some clicks, and few simple entries, is all it takes to file returns and pay taxes. It’s liberating to do away with piles of papers and stacks of files that used to be the norm earlier. The use of technology in the tax system has created a super-efficient and swift network.
GST registration and management of taxes online
GST portal is one medium that addresses all the needs required to manage taxes. Filing returns, paying tax, registering your business, everything is available at a few clicks. To benefit from the online service that is developed for taxpayers, you first need to register on the online GST portal. It can be done through a simple process. Hover over these details for a step by step procedure to register on the GST portal.
- Open the GST portal ̵
- Click on the “services” tab, and a drop-down menu will appear. Hover your mouse over “Registration,” and you will see another drop-down menu with an option for “New Registration.” Click on that.
- There will be few basic details you will be required to enter on this page. Enter all the details accurately in the given spaces and click “proceed.”
- Enter active Email ID, and mobile number as a verification OTP will be sent.
- Enter Email OTP and mobile number OTP respectively. Fill the Captcha and click “proceed.”
- This will be the completion of Part A of the registration process. The portal will display and auto-generated “Temporary Reference Number (TRN)” that will be needed later. Note the TRN on paper or on your mobile phone and click “proceed.”
- On the next page, enter your “Temporary Reference Number” (TRN) in the space provided. Enter Captcha and click “proceed.”
- There will be an OTP sent to your mobile number, and the same will be needed on the next page. Enter the new mobile OTP in the space provided and click “proceed.”
- It will display the status of your application as a draft by default. Click the “ small blue box” on the right side of the page under the “Action” tab.
- Here you will be asked to submit relevant documents.
- The documents required will be your ID proof, PAN details, Business Details, Details of partners, Authorized Signatory, Proof of place of business, Bank account details.
- In about 15 minutes, the Application Reference Number (ARN) will be sent to your Email ID and mobile number.
- Check your application status by entering on the GST portal. Upon getting verification done. You will be able to download the GST Registration Certificate.
- To download GST Registration Certificate log into to GST portal. Go to Services then User Services and from the drop-down menu, click on View/Download certificate.
- On the next page, you can download your GST Registration Certificate.
File returns with ease.
The process of registration is done only through some clicks and by entering some quick details. Registration can be done from anywhere. You can register, track registration status, and download certificates all from one single online platform. Filing GST returns are also as seamless as registering for GST. Every supplier needs to file GSTR-1 every month. Taxpayers with an annual turnover of Rs. 1.5 crores can choose to file quarterly. This can be done through a significantly easy process using the GST portal.
- Log in to the GST portal and click on “Services.”
- Click on the “Returns” tab, then click on “Returns Dashboard.”
- It will take you to the “File Returns” page. Select the appropriate month and year for which you want to file the return for then click “Search.”
- It will show you all the details, and you can browse accordingly.
It is just through some simple functions you can file your returns. Other features that the GST portal provides is paying Goods and Services tax, Keeping records, verifying GSTIN, etc. There is an FAQ section on the GST portal that answers a lot of common doubts that a taxpayer may have. All the different aspects of tax payments and returns are now done seamlessly, and it’s about GST software that works in the background that makes it efficient. As simple as it may seem on the outward, it’s the smart technology that handles extremely complex functions in the background and makes it easy.
Infusing Technology in the new tax system and its effects
One of the groundbreaking changes that happened through the new tax system was connecting states and central tax departments along with each and every taxpayer into a single online platform. Production of a single pen in a small part of a city can be traced to the place it is purchased in a different state of the country altogether. It can identify the stages that a single pen has been through until it reached its consumer. The magnitude and scale of records of millions of goods that are purchased and sold daily are astronomical. To address this, GSTN came into being. In September 2015, GST Council awarded the contract to develop GSTN to Infosys. GSTN uses multiple technologies. The online GST portal is the front end of GSTN. The backend is all about GST software that helps the tax department handles thousands of tax returns on a daily basis.