Local health officials ask for your help in stopping a salmonella outbreak in connection with the herbal product Kratom.
According to employees of the Washoe County Health District, a local case of food poisoning, Salmonella, is linked to a kratom product purchased from a smoker's home in Reno.
Kratom products that may have been contaminated with salmonella were recently detained by the district in the smokehouse and taken off the shelves.
Officials are calling on people not to use kratom products, which have been linked to hundreds of cases of food-borne illness since the beginning of the year.
Health officials are also urging people to report sites selling kratom products They may be warned against recalling, and the product may be pulled off the shelves and warehouses to prevent further disease while the national investigation of the outbreak continues becomes.
Please contact (775) 328-2434 to report Kratom sales and products.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, kratom is a plant native to Southeast Asia that is consumed for its stimulating effect and as an opioid substitute.
It can be brewed in a tea, chewed, smoked or taken in capsules.
It can also be called Thang, Kakuam, Thom, Ketom and Biak.
In early April, more than 130 Salmonella cases in 38 states, including Nevada, were associated with the contaminated kratom.
A list of recalled Kratom products is available on the US Food and Drug Administration website
Each year, approximately 36 cases of salmonellosis are reported in Washoe County. Most people who are infected with Salmonella develop diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramping for one to three days after exposure. Salmonellosis is commonly diagnosed by laboratory tests of a stool specimen after CDC. The disease usually lasts four to seven days. Although most people recover without treatment, severe infections can occur. Infants, the elderly, and immunocompromised people are more likely to develop serious illness than others. When a serious infection occurs, Salmonella can spread from the intestine into the bloodstream and then to other parts of the body, resulting in death. People who believe they have been ill by eating kratom should contact a doctor.
For more information on the outbreak of Kratom Salmonella by the CDC, visit their website at: https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/ kratom-02-18 / index.html.