Eric Adams was another helicopter passenger during the crash. He says it was very difficult to get out of the seat belt after the accident.

WASHINGTON – The pilot of an open-door helicopter that crashed in New York City and killed five passengers informed federal police that the fuel supply was interrupted, with part of the passengers' reluctance The switch, according to the report Monday

The pilot, Richard Vance, told investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board that he was moving to turn off the fuel switch because the helicopter went on March 11, but it was already off

Then he tried to turn it on again and restart the engine, but according to the NTSB preliminary report on the crash, it was too late.

The report comes to no conclusion about what caused or did not prevent the crash. The full investigation could take a year or more.

The five passengers who died in the accident each carried harnesses that could have hindered their escape from the helicopter in the East River.

The Federal The Aviation Authority ordered a temporary stop of helicopter flights on March 22 until a method was developed to allow passengers to fly with restraints that would not need to be cut in an emergency.

Pilot for Liberty Helicopter Tours He told the investigators that he was checking passengers' harnesses and showing them for emergency use in a preliminary meeting with the cutting tool. But the five passengers could not escape after the accident.

The belts were not installed by the manufacturer of the Eurocopter AS350 B2, but were standard nylon straps that were attached to each back of the occupant by a carabiner

At one point above the east side of Central Park, the pilot told the investigators That he noticed that the restraint of the passenger seat depended on the seat and he told him to put it back on, which he did.

As they flew through the park, the pilot said the passenger was turned sideways, slid across the double-seated bench toward the pilot, leaned back and stretched out his feet to take a picture of them outside the helicopter. 19659008] When the pilot started a right turn, his nose turned faster than expected, he told the investigators. The warning lights for engine pressure and fuel pressure were received. The pilot said he had tried to restart the engine, but was unsuccessful.


A helicopter crashed on Sunday evening in Manhattan's East River and killed all five passengers aboard was pulled out of the water. The NTSB tweeted that the helicopter would be taken to a secure facility for further investigation. (March 12th)

When he "committed the impact," the pilot told the investigators, he reached for the emergency shut-off lever and found that it was already off. "He also noticed that part of the passenger's restraints was under the lever," the report said.

Another element of the investigation are floats on the landing skids of the helicopter, which are supposed to hold the plane afloat. The investigators said a first survey of swimmers revealed that those on the left were more inflated than those on the right.

The pilot told the investigators that he had floated the swimmers about 800 feet after deciding that "too many people were" in Central Park to land there and instead go to the East River.

The helicopter quickly filled up with water and rolled into the river after landing, with the pilot telling the investigators that he was completely under water when he released his own restraint

The pilot told the investigators that the Walk the Statue of Liberty 300 to 500 feet in the air, past the Brooklyn Bridge at 500 feet and then up the east side of Central Park.

More: FAA bans helicopter flights after New York City crash

More: Grand Canyon helicopter crash: British brothers who were betrothed on & # 39; Journey of Your Life & # 39; [19659026] Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions