Houston will likely burn for another two days. (March 18)

HOUSTON – A large fire at a Houston-petrochemicals petrochemicals terminal will likely burn for another two days, these authorities said Monday

The fire erupted Sunday at Intercontinental Terminals Company located at Deer Park, about 15 miles southeast of Houston. Firefighters were blaming themselves on the blaze, and the company said they were "minimally compromised."

ITC has been reported for a few years. 35 miles (55 kilometers) southeast of the blaze A huge plume of smoke could be seen for miles, including from the Galveston Ferry. Officials estimated the plume rose to 4,000 feet (1,219 meters) into the air.

The company said that it was used in nail polish remover, glues and paint thinner. David Wascome scaled back the number Monday, saying one of the tanks was empty.

Monday afternoon, ITC spokeswoman Alice Richardson said fire crews had made progress battling the blaze as

A Report Done by the Center for Toxicology and Environmental Health, a local environmental consultant hired by ITC, shows the health and safety situation at the time Richardson said.

A plume of smoke rises from a petrochemical fire at the InterContinental Terminals Company Monday in Deer Park, Texas. (Photo: David J. Phillip, AP)

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said: "The latest information is available does not exist."

Hidalgo, the highest elected official in the county, said that if conditions change, it would be alerted about any potential health hazards.

A shelter- Deer Park, which has about 34,000 residents.

The order was lifted early Monday after air-quality tests showed no unsafe levels of chemicals, according to the city.

But city and county officials warned that smoke from the fire could cause skin and eye irritation, and respiratory issues. Schools in the area were closed Monday as a precaution.

Fire crews used to protect their storage tanks

"We're controlling the fire and keeping it off the rest of the tanks," Ray said Russell with Mutual Aid Mutual Aid

Russell estimated the fire would burn for another two days.

The fire was the second in.

Harris County Fire Marshal Laurie Christensen said: "Fire is the second in." as many days at a Houston-area petrochemical facility.

John Mone, AP writer in La Porte, contributed to this report.


Show Thumbnails

Show Captions