The Illinois will pay more for gasoline, cigarettes and annual license plate fees to pay the $ 45 billion public works plan that the General Assembly approved in the final days of its spring session.
Republicans and Democrats have teamed up to support The tax hikes, which finance major modernization of roads, bridges, and transportation routes, have shaped "Rebuild Illinois."
Legislators have also overstepped a cornerstone of Governor JB Pritzker's ambitious agenda this spring, offering voters a constitutional amendment in 2020 that would make it possible for governments to introduce a graduated income tax instead of the current flat rate tax.
If the first-time governor promises voter ratification, the graduated income tax will provide some relief to the majority of taxpayers. However, critics claim that the savings taxpayers could be eaten by the higher tax and fee legislators passed in the spring due to the proposed income tax adjustment.
"We worked hard in this session to reduce the burden. We will continue to look for ways to do that," Pritzker said Sunday. "We also have to make sure people have good roads to drive to be safe." You know, we have billions, I mean $ 1
The 2016 "Lockbox" amendment to the Illinois Constitution, approved by voters, foresees that transport-related revenues will only be used for specific purposes Transport projects and associated costs.
The capital account goes to Pritzker for signature. Here's a look at some of the tax and fee increases that will be incurred.
– Increase in gas tax: The state fuel tax of 19 cents per gallon doubles as scheduled from 1 July. The gas tax was last raised in 1990 and should be linked to future inflation increases. Cook County communities could separately charge a fuel tax of 3 cents per gallon.
– Car Driver Fees: To support traffic-related projects, license plate fees will be increased by $ 50 to $ 151 annually from this date, with the 2020 registration year. In addition, the charge for electric vehicles will be $ 35 for two years raised from January 1st to $ 248 a year.
– Smoking and Vaping: The measure increases the state cigarette tax of $ 1.98 per pack by $ 1. In the meantime, e-cigarettes would be taxed at a rate of 15%. These two increases would come into effect on July 1st.
– Parking Tax: As a source of financing for construction projects, a daily tax of 6% and a monthly tax of 9% would be levied on parking garages and parking spaces from 1 January.
– Online Sales Tax: The Bill is calling for an increase in sales tax on online purchases for more purchases made through external or non-state online retailers.
The lump-sum plan also covers state revenues from expanded gambling and the legalization of sports betting to finance the building construction component of the large-scale public works plan, including projects at colleges and universities. The bill provides for six new casinos, including Chicago, the southern suburbs, Waukegan and Rockford. In addition, O'Hare and Midway airports will be open for slot machines. It also increases the tax on video games and legalizes sports betting by introducing a 15% tax rate.
New tax increases in Illinois could cause consumers to hit the boarder for To exceed gas and cigarettes. »
Illinois will raise the fee for Tesla's, Bolts and other electric vehicles – but not to $ 248,000:" They cut it off an unprecedented number "»
The Spin: A look at the winners – among them JB Pritzker – and losers in the spring legislature. »
Rookie Gov.JB Pritzker pushed for an ambitious agenda for the first year. That's how he did it. "