قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / In Connecticut, a patient has died of a mosquito-borne virus

In Connecticut, a patient has died of a mosquito-borne virus



A resident of Connecticut who is infected with equine encephalitis has died of the first deaths of the state in 201

3, according to health officials. Several states in the northeast have reported cases of illness in recent weeks, including a second death reported in Massachusetts on Friday.

In Connecticut, health officials announced a second person in addition to the death of the first person diagnosed this year. It has been tested positive for Eastern equine encephalitis.

Encouraged residents to protect themselves and their children by avoiding outdoor activities from dusk to dawn when the mosquitoes are most active.

The positive tested patient is an adult who falls ill in the second week of September and stays in the hospital. Laboratory testing by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the presence of antibodies to the virus that causes the disease.

"The identification of two Connecticut residents with EEE, one of whom died, highlights the severity of this infection," said Renée Coleman Mitchell of the State Department of Public Health.

"The use of insect repellents, covering the bare skin and avoiding it from dawn to dawn outdoors are effective ways to prevent mosquitoes from biting you first strong frost. "

States throughout the Northeast are experiencing an active season for electrical and electronic equipment.

In Massachusetts, 10 cases of people in the Commonwealth have been confirmed. Another patient, Laurie Sylvia, died in August.

Health officials are calling on people to use bug spray, reduce skin exposure, and stay indoors once the sun goes down and it's getting dark.

In addition to Massachusetts and Connecticut in Michigan and Rhode Island, there are confirmed cases of humans. Three people in Michigan and one person in Rhode Island have died.

Typically, only five to ten cases of the disease are reported in humans each year, but according to the CDC, about 30% of all cases are fatal. Early symptoms of the disease occur about four to 10 days after exposure and may include headache, high fever, chills, body and joint pain. It can cause severe encephalitis or brain swelling, which can cause tremors, seizures and paralysis.


Source link