The girl is drinking water from a Gulf of Mexico waters WXYN.
Michelle Brown and her 12-year-old daughter Kylei are thankful to be sitting on their Mooresville patio.
"It's just so hard seeing friends and family, you know, on the beach having fun, because we were doing the same thing and I was almost lost," said Kylei's mom Michelle.
Kylei started feeling pain in her leg when she got back to Indiana.
Kylei was taken the ER
Kylei contracted a rare bacterial infection called "necrotizing fasciitis, an aggressive, life-threatening life", she says.
"If it were not for their quick responses and aggressive treatments, I would not have said that," Michelle said.
It's usually found in water
Kylei stuck her toes in the water just days after scuffing her to a skateboard.
"It starts from a spot on her toe, a scuff on her toe and, I mean, it's almost cost her her life, "Michelle said.
Finally back home, Kylei still has a needle in her arms for antibiotics.
Her leg is still wrapped and she's starting to therapy to walk again.
I've told my mom multiple times I just want to be back, like, with my leg, "K ylei said.
As they start their long road to recovery, Michelle wants to see the family and the families.