The battery of an iPad exploded in Apple's Amsterdam retail store on Sunday afternoon, and the fire brigade evacuated everyone to dissolve the dangerous substances that might have been released into the air.
No one was injured during the incident, except for three Apple employees who may have inhaled some of these substances.
The retail store was shut down for proper ventilation, Dutch blog iCulture reports. The tablet was placed in a container filled with sand and did not catch fire. There was no smoke either, according to the report.
It's not uncommon for battery-powered electronics to catch fire, and Apple's devices are not spared. We've seen cases of random iPhone batteries explode or swell, and that's something you can not prevent, no matter how careful you are with your devices.
The Amsterdam explosion is also an isolated incident, so you should not worry about iPad battery safety. It's unclear what caused it, and whether it was an iPad in the store or a device for repair.
The only time we had a serious battery problem with a mobile device was two years ago that of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 broke left and right on fire. This prompted the Korean company to call the phone back and eventually shut it down. Since then, Samsung has significantly improved battery quality assurance and has reported no Samsung device incidents. But the entire Note 7 fiasco has probably put Samsung's competitors on alert, including Apple, to ensure battery design and size are not associated with similar side effects.