BEIRUT – The Islamic State took responsibility for a suicide attack on Wednesday In Syria, the US-patrolled city of Manbij, the first attack since President Trump marked the withdrawal of US forces from the country because the militant group was largely defeated.
A statement released by militants' unofficial news agency Amaq states that the attacker used an explosive vest to attack the coalition forces. The agency did not provide further evidence for the allegation.
Photos of the surroundings seemed to show bodies and traces of blood scattered across the floor. It was not immediately clear if there were any US personnel in the area at the time.
Syrian-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 19 people were injured or killed in the explosion. A Kurdish news agency said at least ten people had been injured and had located the attack at the location of a popular restaurant.