BREAKING: The Turkish prosecutor says that journalist Jamal Khashoggi was suffocated shortly after he joined the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. The prosecutor in Istanbul also confirmed reports that Khashoggi was dismembered and his body parts were "disposed of", the Turkish news agency said. This article is being updated.
ISTANBUL – The Saudi Arabian prosecutor did not provide his Turkish counterpart with the location of the murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi or the identity of a "local collaborator" that the Saudi authorities claimed to have helped them Khashoggi's remains said a high-ranking Turkish official on Wednesday.
Ever since prosecutor Saud al-Mojeb arrived in Turkey on Monday, "Saudi officials seemed to focus on what evidence the Turkish authorities have brought against the perpetrators," said the official, who asked for anonymity to discuss private law enforcement contacts.
"We did not get the impression that they really wanted to participate in the investigation," said the Saudi delegation official.
Mojeb's visit came just days after Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had welcomed the "unique" co-operation between Turkey and Saudi Arabia in investigating the assassination of Khashoggi, who was inducted into the Saudi consulate on 2 October Istanbul had come.
Turkey says members of a 15-man hit team sent from Saudi Arabia have killed Khashoggi at the consulate. Turkish investigators have not published any important evidence in this case – an audio recording of the events.
Saudi Arabia has made divergent statements regarding what happened to Khashoggi, a post by the Washington Post, which criticized Mohammed. The Saudi authorities have admitted that Khashoggi was killed in the consulate, blaming agents acting outside state authority.
Turkish officials, including President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, have repeatedly complained that Saudi Arabia is obstructing the investigation by refusing to provide critical information, including the location of Khashoggi's body. Turkey has also requested the extradition of 18 suspects arrested in Saudi Arabia in connection with the case, according to the Saudi government.
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said the suspects would be brought to trial in national courts.
Turkish media reported Wednesday afternoon that Mojeb had left after two days with a midnight visit and a midnight visit to a branch office in Istanbul National Intelligence Agency.
The murder has sparked a storm of criticism that has led Germany to suspend export licenses for the kingdom and put President Trump in a dilemma. Saudi Arabia is not only a major source of American arms, it is also at the heart of the foreign policy of the Middle East government.
Trump said he was "not satisfied" with the Saudi statements of Khashoggi's death. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has warned that the crisis may affect regional stability. However, there is little evidence that Khashoggi's death will fundamentally change the relationship between the two nations.
On Wednesday, a group of Republican Senators urged Trump to suspend negotiations on a civilian US-Saudi agreement. They cited the impact of Khashoggi's death and Riyadh's policies on Lebanon and Yemen as an occasion for "serious concern for the transparency, accountability and judgment of current decision-makers".
Like Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler Mohammed has initiated social reforms and a crackdown on dissent. Abroad, he is the architect of a bloody and sluggish campaign in Yemen, and last year he was accused of forcing Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri to a short-lived resignation.
Reports from Riyadh indicated that the royal family is closing ranks to protect themselves from the consequences.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Wednesday his government would take "necessary action" against those responsible for the journalist's death. "As long as the people responsible and the circumstances of the killing are not published, published and evaluated, we will demand the truth," said Le Drian to RTL Radio.