- Apple announced Thursday that its longtime design chief, Jony Ive, would be leaving the company at the end of the year.
- While the news came as a shock to many, Bloomberg reveals that his departure has been "a long time in the making."
- In a report from Apple reporter Mark Gurman, Bloomberg said I've had been disengaged from his role and was only in the office twice a week.
- Ive been going on to set up his own design company, called LoveFrom, which will count Apple among its clients.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Apple announced the resignation of its famed design chief Jony Ive on Thursday after being near-30-year tenure at the company.
The Ive mentioned it as "irreplaceable" and said it would "leave a hole" in the company. On the news, Apple's stock dropped -0.87%, wiping out $ 8 billion of Apple's market cap.
But Ive's departure has been made for a long time in the making, according to Business Insider's Troy Wolverton who said there were "rumblings for years" Apple's products.
A recent report from Bloomberg's Mark Gurman revealed that I've had "shedding responsibilities" since the Apple Watch's launch in 201
Bloomberg, California, United States, California, United States. Other meetings were reportedly held at the homes of his employees or at hotels.
Ive's resignation. "I've been resigned." Bloomberg says, "I've been resigned." "He's been at Apple for over 25 years, and it's a really taxing job."
Apple's biggest products, including the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and iPod. He joins the company on the brink of bankruptcy in the late 1990s and helps turn it into the trillion-dollar company that it is today.
So what a close confidant of Steve Jobs, Apple's late cofounder and former CEO, and reported directly to him.
"Most of the greatest debates at Apple happened between those two as they walked together," Matt Rogers, cofounder of Nest Labs who worked on the iPhone and iPod software from 2007 to 2010, told Bloomberg.
Jobs and I would like to have lunch together and walk around Apple's headquarters making a design meeting together, according to Bloomberg. When Jobs died in 2011, I've become the most important person at the company, it added.
But his intense stint at Apple has reportedly begun to wear him down. "It's been an extremely tense 25 years for him at Apple and there's a time for everyone to slow down," the person who wished to remain anonymous told Bloomberg.
Ive been going on to set up his own design company, called LoveFrom. Apple wants to be one of his new clients.