قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Judge rejects Saudi Arabia's attempt to throw 9/11 lawsuits

Judge rejects Saudi Arabia's attempt to throw 9/11 lawsuits



NEW YORK – A judge on Wednesday rejected Saudi Arabia's request to end a lawsuit in New York in which he is to be held responsible in the attacks of September 11 . US District Judge George Daniels said the plaintiff's allegations met the conditions for the court to allow the jurisdiction of the law against terrorists.

The Congress passed the law in 2016 over President Barack Obama's veto after which the claims against Saudi Arabia were made after they had once been rejected in court. It was the first time Congress successfully overruled a veto on Obama.

"This is really a historic day for the families," said Sean Carter, plaintiff's attorney. "Families have been trying for many years to enable the Saudi government to give a good answer."

A message from lawyers representing the Saudi government was not returned immediately.

Daniels had previously rejected arguments that Saudi Arabia supported the kidnappers. In the decision of Wednesday, he also rejected claims against two Saudi banks and a construction company linked to Osama bin Laden and said he lacked jurisdiction.

Hundreds of victims of relatives and injured survivors sued the Saudi government in 2003. His staff knowingly helped hijackers who carried out the attacks and fueled Al Qaeda's development into a terrorist organization by providing charities to the group supported, financed.

Fifteen of the 19 attackers were Saudis. The United States has been investigating several Saudi diplomats and others with Saudi government gangs who knew kidnappers after their arrival in the United States, according to documents now released.

The 9/11 Commission report found "no evidence that the Saudi government funded an institution or senior Saudi government officials" al-Qaeda's attacks, "but the commission also noted" that "the Saudi government-sponsored charities

The Saudi government has long denied any involvement in the attacks.

At a January hearing, attorney Michael Kellogg, who argued for Saudi Arabia, cited the report repeatedly, along with the findings of investigations by the FBI and the CIA

"All rejected Saudi Arabia was responsible," he said

2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, transmitted, rewritten or redistributed.The Associated Press has contributed to this report.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *