WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus praised Rwanda on Thursday for his ongoing Ebola preparedness efforts and confirmed that no Ebola cases have been reported from the country.
"Rwanda has been proactive and engaged in Ebola preparedness at all levels since the outbreak was declared nearly a year ago in the neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo. We commend the measures we have taken so far and confirm that there have been no cases of Ebola in Rwanda, despite the high traffic and passenger traffic, "said Dr. Tedros.
Rwanda has a detailed National Preparedness Plan: training health workers on early detection and response, informing the public about Ebola, vaccinating health workers in vulnerable areas, equipping health facilities and conducting simulation exercises to maintain high readiness.
Ebola symptoms at entry points have been persistent since the beginning of the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo) and have intensified since the confirmation of a case in the Congolese city of Goma. Tens of thousands of people cross the Goma border every day to the Rwandan town of Gisenyi. People crossing the border have their temperatures checked, wash their hands, and listen to the Ebola intelligence messages.
An Ebola treatment center has been set up in Rwanda and 23 isolation units are being prepared in hospitals in 1
"Rwanda has invested heavily in preparing for Ebola," said Dr. Rwanda. Tedros. "As long as the eruption continues in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, however, there is a very real risk of its spreading to neighboring countries. We urge the international community to continue to support this important work. "