Pompeo briefly talked with King Salman before a prolonged meeting with the King's son, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the de facto ruler of Saudi Arabia. US State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said Pompeo "thanked the King for his commitment to support a thorough, transparent and timely investigation" of the Khashoggi case and expressed concern over the case to the Foreign Minister.
There was no public mention of a new Saudi statement for Khashoggi's disappearance. CNN's sources say that Saudi Arabia will claim that the Washington Post columnist died when an interrogation went awry.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkish officials who searched the consulate for nine hours on Monday look "poisonous" and "painted" about material "as part of their investigation." I hope we can come to conclusions that will give us a reasonable opinion as soon as possible, because the investigation looks at many things like toxic materials and materials that are removed by sweeping them over, "Erdogan told reporters.
Saudi Arabia was under heavy international pressure, Declare Khashoggi's apparent death after visiting the consulate on October 2 to obtain papers that would allow him to marry his Turkish fiancee.
Khashoggi's family requested an independent, international commission to investigate the case.
Excitement of the Gatherings
Trump sent Pompeo to the region shortly after a telephone call on Monday with King Salman. He was picked up by the Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister at the airport in Riyadh on Tuesday and made a number of engagements with senior officials during the day.
Pompeo's meeting with the king was relatively short – based on the arrival and departure times of his motorcade, CNN estimates that the encounter can not have taken more than 15 minutes. Pompeo met with the Crown Prince for about 35 to 40 minutes and was to meet him later for dinner.
The Turkish authorities have privately stated that Khashoggi was killed at the Consulate on 2 October. Saudi Arabia has previously insisted that he would go to the building the same afternoon, but has provided no evidence to substantiate the allegation. His fiancé, Hatice Cengiz, waited outside the consulate and said she did not see him reappear.
Cengiz tweeted a Quranic verse on Tuesday promising "eternal hellfire" for the killers of "intentional believers."
Turkish investigators will search the Saudi Consulate General on Tuesday after a Turkish diplomatic source Perform Istanbul. CCTV footage, which served as a focal point, showed vehicles that moved from the Consulate building on 2 October in the nearby residence of the Consulate General.
Officials, including a forensics team, conducted a well-reviewed consulate investigation into the evening on Monday. Earlier in the day, CNN reporters saw a cleaning crew enter the building.
The United Nations Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, called on Riyadh to remove the immunity – conferred by the Vienna Convention on consular relations – on his diplomatic premises and officials in the case of the missing journalist.
"Under international law, both forcible disappearances and out-of-court killings are very serious crimes, and immunity should not be used to complicate investigations into what happened and who is responsible," Bachelet said Tuesday.
"Two weeks is a very long time for the likely crime scene of a crime that has not undergone a full forensic investigation."
Changed history of Saudis
A source said the report will likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that those involved are held accountable. One source acknowledged that the report was still in preparation and warned that things could change.
If Riyadh issued a new statement, it would require a reversal of his earlier claim that Khashoggi left the consulate alive
Following Trump's call with King Salman on Monday, he swore the possibility that Khashoggi would die during an unauthorized operation. "It sounded like Rogue Killer – who knows," Trump told reporters.
Trump's comments may be a sign that Washington is preparing to accept Saudi Arabia's efforts to divert its leaders from the fate Khashoggi experienced at his Istanbul Consulate.
Late Monday, Khashoggi's family issued a statement confirming for the first time that the journalist was dead. "The strong moral and legal responsibility that our father inspired us requires us to call for the establishment of an independent and impartial international commission to investigate the circumstances of his death," the statement said.
On Tuesday, it was unclear whether or whether Saudi Arabia would do so publicly with any new recordings regarding the disappearance of Khashoggi. The Turkish authorities said they believed that 15 Saudi men arriving in Istanbul on 2 October were linked to the case. At least some of them seem to have high-level ties in the Saudi government.
If this group is to be characterized as part of a rogue operation intended to bring Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia alive, questions about Salah Muhammed al-Tubaiqi. He is listed on an official Saudi website as head of the Department of Forensic Medicine of the Ministry of the Interior, and Turkish officials have named him one of 15 people.
If the autopsy specialist left Saudi Arabia for Istanbul before Khashoggi entered the consulate, as Turkish sources claim, it could be hard to agree with the explanation that every kill was that Result of a botched interrogation, and not deliberate.
Even if the Trump administration accepts the new Saudi declaration, members of Congress may not do so. Democratic lawmakers criticized the president for his comments after calling King Salman.