This month Detroit Medical Center staff rushed to treat an emergency that was rare in southeastern Michigan or the United States: a man suffering from an exotic but poisonous pet cobra. The Pinconning resident had originally been taken to a Bay County hospital in the late afternoon of July 14, after a bite from his albino monocle cobra had quickly given him nausea, vomiting and drowsiness, DMC officials said an email Monday.

The monocle cobra comes from India, China, Vietnam and Cambodia like Malaysia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, Laos, Nepal and Thailand. Its highly effective poison is one of the fastest snake species in the world and can kill you just one hour after the bite. Reptiles Magazine reported

The 26-year-old victim "stopped breathing respiratory paralysis from the venom, and was intubated and placed on a breathing machine," said the medical center. "Toxicology at Detroit Medical Center has been consulted, and it has been flown to the DMC for better care from Bay County."

While the man was in the intensive care unit at Harper Hospital, toxicologists contacted the Toledo Zoo for advice. Eight vials of generic antivenom, which cover many species of poisonous snakes, were sent to the DMC and administered to the patient within 30 minutes of his arrival, but it had little effect and his condition continued to deteriorate, officials said.

The DMC then becomes an emergency team in Florida's Miami-Dade County, which has a poison reaction program. Twenty vials of antivenom were flown to Detroit and administered to the patient.

"There could be only five cases, as described above in the country in a year, but the coordination necessary to save this man's life is remarkable, as several authorities have worked together to ensure the care of this man "The DMC said

The patient stays stationary and recovers. Www.mjfriendship.de/de/index.php?op…80&Itemid=58 There is no immediate word about his condition Monday night or if he is released, spokesman Jason Barczy said in an email to the Detroit News. Englisch: www.mjfriendship.de/en/index.php?op…ew&id=6 # 1991.

"It is very rare for a case to happen not only at the DMC or in Michigan, but this year there could be five such cases across the country," he said.

Every year, between 7,000 and 8,000 people in the United States receive poisonous bites, and about five of those victims die, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Read or Share This Story: https://detne.ws/2LMLFa3