(CNN) – Two families have been reported after relatives have been hospitalized with meat-eating bacterial infections.
GRAPHIC: The Ohio man had flesh-eating bacteria in FL.
One incident occurred in the Gulf of Mexico and the other in Tampa Bay, Florida, USA.
Barry Briggs from Ohio said he got sick after a boat trip to Tampa in March and was in a hurry to return to the Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton. Briggs spent eleven days in the hospital.
He underwent skin grafts and got several different antibiotics.
Fortunately, the doctors were able to save his foot.
Briggs was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis caused by the group of Streptococcus bacteria through a small wound.
Briggs story came days after a Florida man was hospitalized at the Tampa General Hospital for a carnivorous bacterial infection he suffered while fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.
Mike Walton said he was struck by a gun fishing hook 20 miles off the coast of Palm Harbor.
"I had small bubbles that formed on my hand, and you could see beads of sweat appearing on the edge of my hand, and then they just turned black," he said.
The doctors told Walton that he was fortunate to live and lucky to have his arm.
"When you look down, you can see your own tendons, back of the hand, and your bones go up your arm," Walton said, "that really does."
Walton is now recovering at home and needs to be treated with antibiotics for the next month.
Briggs, through Facebook, drew attention to the disease to publish raw images of what the carnivorous bacteria can do ̵
Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare infection, with 700 to 1,200 cases a year in the US, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. However, researchers also believe that this will be underestimated due to cases it will be under-reported.
Copyright 2019 CNN. All rights reserved.