The man who planned to bomb the New York City subway system before his attempt was thwarted is released from prison after being sentenced to ten years in prison – he was already in office ,
Najibullah Zazi was sentenced on Thursday for his planning role in an attack in 2009, according to The Associated Press. After his arrest, Zazi helped the US authorities investigate terrorists, particularly Al Qaeda members.
Zazi was recruited for Al Qaeda after traveling to Pakistan in 2008. According to reports, he was radicalized and received Al Qaeda explosives training trip and scheduled suicide bombers in the rush hour in the New York subway, scheduled for the eighth anniversary of the terrorist attacks of September 1
Zazi's attempt was stopped by the federal authorities. Zazi pleaded guilty in 2010, but the prosecution has since rewarded him for his "extraordinary" support from the authorities. He helped the authorities find his closest friend and gave the terrorist counterparts an insight into how Al Qaeda works.
"Zazi's help came in light of significant potential threats to himself and his family," wrote US Assistant Attorney Douglas M. Pravda in court filing the AP. "When he joined the government against Al Qaeda, Zazi took such a risk."
Zazi's collaboration involved meeting with authorities "more than 100 times, viewing hundreds of photos and providing information that will help law enforcement agencies conduct a range of different investigations," prosecutors said in a lawsuit.
William Stampur, a lawyer for Zazi, said his client could be "released from prison within a few days."
"Justice has definitely been served," Stampur told the AP. "He clearly and unmistakably rejected radical Islam."
Another man, Zarein Ahmedzay, who was indicted in the subway attack, also supported the federal authorities and was sentenced to ten years in prison in December. He had already served.