قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Massachusetts Man is reported to be in a coma after brain infection by a mosquito

Massachusetts Man is reported to be in a coma after brain infection by a mosquito



Photo: Joe Raedle (Getty Images)

A rare, sometimes fatal viral infection caused by mosquitoes has reappeared in Massachusetts ̵

1; and has probably sent at least one man into a coma. At the weekend, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health reported that a resident had become infected with the Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) virus. Dozens of communities continue to face critical or high risk for the virus, and residents are advised to stay indoors at night. WCVB 5 reported Tuesday that a woman claiming to be a man's daughter is in one Facebook Post said he had fallen into a coma as a result. The man is the first confirmed case of waste electrical and electronic equipment since 2013.

"Today's news confirms the significant risk of WEEE and we ask residents to take this risk very seriously", Public Health Commissioner Monica Bharel released a statement released on Saturday. "We will continue to monitor this situation and the affected communities."

  Article preview thumbnail
Mosquitoes spread a rare, brain-infecting virus in Florida

One of the most dangerous but thankfully rare mosquito diseases was rediscovered in …

Read More Read More

Electrical and Electronic Equipment as we have already written, a rare but potentially devastating threat to humans. The natural life cycle of the virus consists only of mosquitoes and birds, and its primary mosquito-host tends to live away from humans. But other mosquitoes that harbor humans can catch them from infected birds and then infect humans. Most human viral infections are not severe, but the few that reach the brain can be fast-fatal or cause permanent neurological symptoms. There is currently no specific treatment or vaccine for electrical and electronic equipment.

The absolute risk for electrical and electronic equipment is still very low. An average of seven cases of viral infections caused by the virus are reported annually, and in 2018 only six cases were reported, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. By comparison, West Nile virus, the most common mosquito disease in the US, caused at least 1,600 similar cases in 2018.

However, as long as people live in the immediate vicinity of mosquitoes, electrical and electronic equipment is a potential danger to anyone. The most vulnerable areas for electrical and electronic equipment are on the East Coast. Last July, health officials in Florida reported that the virus was detected in chickens. This Monday, health authorities in Connecticut reported that state mosquitoes had recently tested positive for both electrical and West Nile devices.

In Massachusetts, health authorities said nine municipalities are at critical risk for electrical and electronic equipment and a further 15 municipalities are at high risk. They then began spraying in the air in some of these areas over the weekend and recommended "using mosquito repellents and staying in the house at dusk until dawn to reduce exposure to mosquitoes."


Source link