UFC star Conor McGregor is being investigated for alleged sexual assault in his native Ireland, according to a New York Times report.
The New York Times reported Tuesday that 30-year-old McGregor was charged with sexual assault A woman arrested in December in Dublin was arrested and released following questioning next month. He has not been formally charged or convicted of any crime, and the ongoing investigation is not evidence of allegations.
The report appears less than 24 hours after McGregor announced his sudden resignation from mixed martial arts at the social media. Representatives of the UFC did not react immediately to the request for opinion.
The New York Times reported that the woman was allegedly attacked in a hotel in the south of Dublin, west of the Crumlin district where McGregor grew up, allegedly was reported on the case for months, but is prohibited by law, a suspect in cases of sexual assault before sentencing to name.
UFC star Conor McGregor tweeted that he is withdrawing from mixed martial arts and said he wished "to all my old colleagues that they are good at running forward in the competition."
According to the report, Irish police do not say McGregor at this time is the suspect of the investigation.
"This story has been circulating for some time, and it is unclear why this is the case now reported," said Karen Kessler, a spokeswoman for McGregor's lawyer, to ESPN.
"Conor's suspicion that Conor's retirement announcement today is related to this rumor is absolutely wrong." Should Conor be in the f It must be in an environment where fighters are valued for their value, skill, and hard work and their commitment to the sport, "said Kessler.
McGregor (21-4) last fought for the UFC in October. In a minor title fight at UFC 229 he suffered a defeat against Khabib Nurmagomedov. Earlier this month, McGregor was arrested in Miami for robbery and criminal misfortune after taking a person's phone
Before McGregor announced his retirement on Monday, he said "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" that he was back in July negotiated a possible return to the Octagon.
Ariel Helwani contributed to this report