SPRINGFIELD – MGM Resorts International will prematurely open Springfield Casino on August 24, with a seven-year journey from Vision to Operations
"It has just come off surprisingly well," said MGM Resorts President Bill Hornbuckle Republicans this week. Our commitment is for Springfield. Our commitment is to make this successful. We are well on the way to doing that.
MGM had committed to open the $ 960 million Resort Casino by September "New England's first integrated luxury resort and entertainment destination."
Hornbuckle gave the MGM Springfield team recognition that The two consecutive "relatively soft" winters and the upcoming, on-time completion of the Interstate 91
MGM Springfield President Michael Mathis said the company is proud to "become what we believe is the region's premier entertainment destination and play a role in an exciting one Renaissance for Springfield. "
" MGM Springfield is a testament to years of collaboration between the City of Springfield and MGM Resorts and will honor the city's legacy and celebrate its bright future as it introduces an outstanding variety of hospitality and entertainment experiences to New Englanders and beyond, "said Mathis.
Hornbuckle said that MGM Springfield dates back to fall 2011 and grew from an idea, through design, to local approvals, to construction.
A unique feature of The Project merge Hornbuckle said, "With the cityscape and historic architecture as if it had always been in Springfield." Another special feature is the design of 22 entrances that enhance community links, he said.
The opening on Aug. 24 will be coincide with a national insurance convention in Springfield, the independent insuranc e Agents & Brokers of America Inc. visits Springfield for its Fall Leadership Conference, August 22-26, at the Springfield Sheraton Monarch Place and MassMutual Center.
The event is expected to bring more than 600 insurance professionals to the city from across the country and should generate about $ 1 million in local business activity.
MGM cited its focus on historical preservation and saved some of the city's "most famous buildings."
"Locals and tourists can see venues like the First Spiritualist Church, Springfield Armory and Chandler Union Hotel – where Presidents Polk and Buchanan both stayed – in a whole new way," the company said.
Beyond the hustle and bustle of building this spring and summer, furnishing and equipment arrival of play equipment to carpets, officials said.
Hornbuckle said he wants to "send a big sincere thank you to the community" to be behind the project from day one.
As part of its commitment to the city and the state, MGM provides Springfield with at least 3,000 employees, of which at least 2,200 full-time equivalents will be employed. MGM has said that the average salary range of full-time jobs varies from $ 40,000 to $ 55,000, including the cost of benefits. The company says that 80 percent of these jobs will be unionized positions.
There was a broad outreach effort for employees and training opportunities that will continue before the casino opening, MGM officials said.
Part of the Long-term Employment Commitment demands that MGM "make its best efforts" to ensure that at least 35 percent of its employees live in Springfield, with no more than 10 percent of the workforce working outside the city limits, to women, minorities and To reach veterans.
The city of Holyoke is the only community in the area that, thanks to the efforts of Mayor Alex Morse, has brought a working guarantee for its citizens into an agreement with MGM. The wording says Holyoke residents will benefit from "hundreds" of jobs.
MGM was also required to hire at least 2,000 construction workers. The general contractor is Tishman Construction from New York, and there are about 200 subcontractors on site during the construction period.
Regarding published reports, Wynn Resorts Ltd. could discussing the sale of his Everett casino to MGM, Hornbuckle, said MGM's policy is not to comment on rumors. MGM is fully committed to the Springfield project and has informed Mayor Domenic J. Sarno.
Regarding the threat of a third tribal casino in Connecticut – planned as a joint venture between Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods in East Windsor, just 20 miles from Springfield – Hornbuckle said that this is a matter under litigation and "does not affect our plans in Springfield.
MGM Springfield is "something that people will enjoy seven days a week," said Hornbuckle.
There will also be announcements over the summer of entertainment programming planned with MassMutual Center, Symphony Hall and CityStage
MGM unveiled its casino projects in August 2012, then an estimated $ 800 million project -Dollar
Sarno announced his election of Mgm in May 2013, beating competing offer by Penn National Gaming in the North End. A third company, Ameristar, withdrew its proposal in East Springfield.
Springfield voters approved the agreement with the host community in July 2013, with a margin of 58 percent to 42 percent.
The groundbreaking ceremony took place in March 2015.
MGM Springfield lists some of its top attractions:
- Accomodations – A five story boutique hotel with 250 rooms, "inspired by its historical significance, the iconic Architecture and the literary legacy of the urban environment, said MGM, and the design features associated with the region range from quotations from the works of Emily Dickinson to Merriam-Webster-inspired arts.
- The Casino – The 125,000 square foot Play area will include about 2,550 slot machines, 120 games tables, a poker room, and a high-limit VIP play area.
- Culinary Experiences – The gastronomic offer includes: the Cal Mare Restaurant, the "Best of Italian Coastal Cuisine" and award-winning chef Michael Mina; Chandler Steak House with steaks and seafood by Meghan Gill, winner of the 14th season Program Hell's Kitchen, and MGM's signature TAP Sport Bar, as well as the numerous food and drinks on-site at the South End Market.  Entertainment and Recreation – MGM Springfield offers several shows and venues in the MassMutual Center of the Casino and will work with other downtown venues including Symphony Hall and CityStage for other Venus. Other venues at the casino include: Topgolf Swing Suite, described as a high-tech immersive golf simulation and lounge; a movie theater with eight movie theaters, a 10-lane bowling center; a spa; and a 8,000-square-meter swimming pool within a terraced roof garden.
- Retail – There will be a number of on-site shops, including Kringle Candle and the very first clothing boutique of Indian Motorcycle, a motorcycle pioneer born in Springfield
- open air theater – the historic square and public space arise with the historical, restored building of the State Armory in its center. The marketplace will feature live events, local craftsmen, farmers markets and seasons program including an outdoor ice rink.
- Art – The artworks throughout the casino will feature works by local, regional and international artists. An important exclusive exhibit is "Wunderkammer: Springfield Innovations from the Springfield Museums.
- Meetings and Events – In addition to the MassMutual Center, MGM will hold approximately 42,500 square feet of space for business and social gatherings and events.