Microsoft today released a new Windows 10 preview with improvements for Cortana and Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). The update extends Windows 10 from Build 18970 (available for August 29th testers) to Build 18975. These builds come from the 20H1 branch, which is the Windows 10 update that will be released in the first half of next year.
Windows 10 is being developed as a service, meaning that new features are provided on a regular basis. Microsoft has released seven major updates so far: November Update, Anniversary Update, Creator Update, Fall Creator Update, April 2018 Update, October 2018 Update, and May 2019 Update.
Now Cortana is an app From this build you can now move the Cortana window and resize it. This change has only been introduced for 50% of Windows insiders.
WSL is a level of compatibility for the native execution of Linux executables on Windows. Microsoft is currently working on the WSL 2, which should be delivered in June. Obviously, that did not happen and the company is still missing the new version (release notes).
Also this week, Microsoft released the first preview of PowerToys. It contains two utilities: the Windows keyboard shortcut and a window manager called FancyZones.
This 20H1 release contains the following fixes and improvements:
- Fixed an issue that caused "Bluetooth and other devices" and "printers and scanners" did not get correct in the last two flights
- Fixed an issue that caused the search for insiders to crash when starting in certain display languages, including Polish.
- Fixed an issue that caused some insiders to receive an error 0xC0000142 Attempting to upgrade to newer builds.
- A recent issue has been resolved, and some insiders found that various File Explorer settings changed unexpectedly and in some cases could not be fixed, which affected the visibility of the file explorer Navigation area of the File Explorer, the option that in the navigation and the drive letters are displayed. Please note that if you are concerned, you will need to take steps to reset these settings to the desired state in File Explorer, even if this fix prevents this.
- Fixed an issue that could be found to minimize, maximize, and close the title bar buttons that did not work for certain apps.
- Added a new option to disable setup after upgrade under notification settings. Note: This option is visible only to users who can see this setup page.
- Fixed an issue where the list of text candidates was displayed in reverse order when entering Korean via the keyboard.
- The Chinese Pinyin IME has been updated The toolbar is now light when using a lighting design.
- Fixed an issue where the Chinese Pinyin IME would stop responding on the first attempt to select a text candidate in certain types of text fields.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the mouse pointer to become transparent and not visible when the HDR feature is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where MS Paint changed the position of the mouse cursor when using the arrow keys even though MS Paint was not active focus.
- Fixed an issue where when using your PC in Arabic or Hebrew, the title bar was flipped for one second when maximizing Win32 apps and the close button was displayed on the right instead of the left.
- Fixed a problem that affects the law reliability of Ion Center in the previous flight.
- Some adjustments to fix potential storage issues through Remote Desktop that could result in you being unsubscribed unexpectedly from your remote session.
- Fixed an issue that prevented us from setting up Windows Hello during OOBE.
- Updating logic has been updated so that your preferred scheduled defragmentation settings are preserved during the upgrade. Many thanks to those who shared feedback.
- Several enhancements have been made to address memory issues that may cause users to be logged out of Remote Desktop sessions.
- Fixed an issue that affected the reliability of your phone on recent flights, causing seemingly random crashes during use.
- Fixed an issue where capturing a screenshot with the stylus after rotating the device might not display the screenshot in the expected orientation.
- Fixed a problem that could occur when taking a snapshot Your screenshot turns unexpectedly black.
- Removed the option to turn the Loupe UI into a loupe and be in the viewport.
- The loupe reading now supports reading in several places.
- Various issues that caused this were fixed Magnifier user interface did not scale or scale properly when users adjusted the "Enlarge text" or "Enlarge all" settings.
- Fixed an issue where users could not use some loupes ifier hotkeys after logging in until Magnifier was restarted.
- Fixed an issue where Loupe Docked and Lens mode went into full screen mode when User Account Control was enabled.
- Fixed an issue in the editor where the text cursor was displayed, but the text cursor indicator would not.
- Fixed a problem in Notepad where the text cursor indicator prevented users from double-clicking to select text.
- Fixed an issue where the preview of the text cursor indicator in Simple Access settings was Not usable when Dark Mode is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where the text cursor was randomly displayed in black.
- Fixed an issue where the speaker stopped prematurely while reading certain dialogues.
- Improved narrator reading experience when paused by messages in Outlook. When the importance column is read, the "importance" header is always spoken before the high or low. If a message has been marked, the information in the column is spoken directly after the importance column and not at the end.
- Fixed a bug where Narrator did not play the error tone in certain scenarios.
- The volume of the left of Narrator has been increased and scrolling noise.
- Fixed a bug where the narrator page summary in the Chrome browser did not work.
- Fixed a bug where assistive technology started after logging in if only the previous logon setting was set.  The Narrator now displays "Flash Messages" on a configured Braille display as expected to read the window title and display suggested content.
- The narrator now displays cell contents on a configured Braille display, as expected when navigating a table.  Known Issues
There are nine known issues with this build:
- The "Reset this PC Cloud Download" option does not currently calculate the correct amount of space you will need for sharing if you do not have enough Space to continue. You can work around the problem until the update is available by releasing another 5GB beyond the prompt.
- The PC Cloud Download Resetting option does not work at this time if certain optional features are installed. The process starts, but an error occurs and the changes are undone. To work around this issue, remove the optional features before you try the cloud download option. Optional features include: EMS and SAC toolset for Windows 10, IrDA Infrared, Print Management Console, RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK), RIP Listener, all RSAT tools, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Windows Fax and Scan, Windows Memory Management, Wireless Display and WI-SNMP Provider.
- Earlier versions of the game Anti-Cheat software encountered a problem that could cause PC crashes after updating to the latest Insider Preview versions of 19H1. Make sure you are running the latest version of your games before attempting to upgrade the operating system.
- Some Realtek SD card readers do not work properly.
- Some insiders may experience a deadlock in netprofmsvc.dll on builds 18967+. This can cause the build upgrade to freeze at 98%. If you are already in the build, it can happen that various aspects of the system unexpectedly freeze and become unresponsive. We thank you for your patience while we work on a solution.
- We are investigating a problem where after updating to this build a new language pack is reported as successful but not installed.
- There is a problem with this before you create where certain Local Experience Packs (LXPs) may be reset to English. We work on a solution.
- Certain 2D apps (such as Feedback Hub, Microsoft Store, 3D Viewer) are mistakenly treated as protected content in Windows Mixed Reality. During video capture, these 2D apps block the recording of their content.
- If you record a repro video while reporting a bug through the Feedback Hub in Windows Mixed Reality, you can not select Stop Video because of the protected content issue mentioned above. If you want to submit a repro video, you must wait 5 minutes for the recording to expire. If you'd like to submit the error without a repro video, you can close the Feedback Hub window to stop recording and continue submitting the error if you open the app again under Feedback> Drafts.
Do not install this on your production machine.