Microsoft today released a new Windows 10 Preview for PCs with Enhancements to Sets, Bluetooth and Calculator. This build comes from the RS5 branch, which is the Windows 10 update that the company plans to release much later this year. The next update will come out of the RS4 branch earlier this month.
Windows 10 is a service, which means that it has been built in a very different way than its predecessors, so it can be updated on a regular basis as well. Microsoft has released four major updates so far: November Update, Anniversary Update, Creators Update, and Fall Creators Update.
This RS5 build is for Windows Insiders who have chosen the Skip Ahead option, which means they will continue to get builds from RS_PRERELEASE. Only a small subgroup of insiders can opt for Skip Ahead, as Microsoft still needs testers to help with RS4.
Sets, which is not necessarily the final name, is a feature that lets you run multiple apps in a single tabbed window. The idea is that you should be able to open new tabs in a particular window for what you are working on: relevant web pages, search documents, necessary files, etc.
With the groups you can now drag and drop tabs over the drag & Drop function drag windows and use Alt + Tab to switch between the tabs. Sets now has its own settings area (Settings => System => Multitasking) and can be searched (type "Sets" or "Tabs"). There is a new keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + T) to open a new tab in a File Explorer window, a new user interface to open new tabs and windows in the File menu and an option to open a folder in a new tab via the context menu. When you right-click on a Phrases tab, new options appear, including "Close Other Tabs," "Move to New Window," and "Close Tabs Right." Other Sets Focus on Restoring Previous Tabs Bug Fixes
Under "Bluetooth & other devices," you can now check the battery of your Bluetooth devices. The battery level will be updated as soon as your PC and the device are connected.
Windows Calculator has been updated (version 10.1803.711.0) to fix a small but fatal error. The app now correctly calculates square roots for perfect squares (integers that are squares of other integers). Previously, the calculation was just an approximation.
This desktop build contains the following general fixes and improvements:
- Fixed an issue that caused duplicate Disk Management entries.
- Fixed an issue that could cause specific UWP apps to automatically shut down when minimized
- Fixed an issue where certain devices with BitLocker enabled were unexpectedly started in the BitLocker recovery of the last flights.
- Fixed a race condition that caused the taskbar to not automatically appear after opening and closing the Start menu while a full-screen window was visible.
- Fixed an issue where entering Start changed to a blank Cortana screen when Start was open when the PC went to sleep.
- Fixed an issue with using Arabic as the display language. With the X, you close the touch keyboard in a text box in the UWP app, and it may not appear automatically in this box.
- Consolidate the places where users can adjust the settings Increase the screen brightness by removing the screen brightness slider in the Control Panel Power Options and the "Screen Brightness" section under Advanced Power Options Settings. You can still adjust your display brightness via Settings> System> Display Settings, Action Center and Keyboard Hotkeys.
Today's update raises the Windows 10 build number for the RS5 branch of 17634 (available for March 29 testers) to 17639.
This build has three known issues:
- When you open Settings and click Links to Microsoft Store or Links in Tips, the settings crash. These include the links to get designs and fonts from the Microsoft Store and the link to Windows Defender.
- When hibernation reopens, the desktop may be temporarily visible before the lock screen appears as expected.
- If Movies & TV users denied access to their video library (via the "Movies and TV to access your videos?" Popup window or via Windows privacy settings), Movies & TV crashes when the user clicks on the "" tab Personally "navigated.
As always, do not install it on your production machine.