This is a good week for baseball players from the State of New Jersey.
Devin Smeltzer, born in Voorhees, celebrated his debut in the Premier League on Tuesday and pitched six innings for the Minnesota Twins.
Another South Jersey Mike Shawaryn from Carneys Point hopes to get his chance this weekend after joining the Boston Red Sox active duty roster.
The Red Sox called on 24-year-old right-hander Triple-A Pawtucket on Wednesday for his first major league start after placing pitcher Hector Velazquez on the injury list with a low back strain.
The following about Shawaryn we know:
- He attended the Catholic University of Gloucester in Gloucester, New Jersey and helped lead the Rams to four NJSIAA Non-Public A government titles. As a senior, he went 8-2 with an ERA of 0.63 in the lead and threw three no-hitters, which made him the first team election for the All-America team at Louisville Slugger High School 2013.
- He was drafted in the 32nd round by the 2013 MLB Draft by the Kansas City Royals.
- He attended the College of the University of Maryland, where he set program records for career wins (30), strike (307) and innings (307.1). He won 13 games in 2015 with 138 strikeouts, both one-year records for the Terps.
- He was drafted by the Red Sox in the 5th round of the 2016 MLB Draft.
- He is 6 & 2 "and weighs 200 pounds.
- He has made 10 starts for the PawSox this year and went to 1: 2 with 3.72 ERA.
- He "commands a fastball of low 90s and relies heavily on a pusher of several shapes" Yahoo Sports)).
- The first person he called on Wednesday after learning that he was going to the majors? His girlfriend. His second call was to his parents.
According to the Boston Globe, Shawaryn is expected to have several family members at Yankee Stadium this weekend. "I had to take a deep breath just to let it melt in. It's a dream come true," said Shawaryn on Thursday. "It's pretty cool, I remember watching on TV as a child [Red Sox-Yankees]there are so many great games, and the rivalry is incredible, it's always important to be there and hopefully the team will win
Chris Calciano, who scoured Shawaryn for the Red Sox, is highly praised for the rookie he met for the first time in Maryland.Per the Boston Globe:
Calciano recognized the impressive presence of the game the legal trader who would "cut off his tail until he takes the ball out of his hand … I just remember that he left and said that he has every attribute you could wish for, what the make-up […] talent, passion for pitching, self-confidence, great leader / teammate, a winner who really despised a defeat. "With the Re On Thursday, it is possible he will start next week when the Red Sox are in Kansas City. However, a bullpen role is not ruled out as Boston opens a series with three games with the Yankees in first place. Yahoo Sports Report Manager Alex Cora will decide by Saturday how the team will use Shawaryn.
Mike Rosenstein can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org . Follow him on Twitter @ rosenstein73 . Find NJ.com on Facebook .