Kabul (AFP) – Several armed men stormed a midwifery training center in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday, injuring at least three people, officials said. Witnesses reported that clouds of smoke appeared over the terrain.
There was no immediate claim Responsible for the recent attack in Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar province
Several midwives were rescued, provincial governor Attaullah Khogyani said:
Inamullah Miakhil, spokesman for the provincial ministry of health, confirmed that his midwife center had been attacked.
A witness in a nearby department told AFP that he had heard several explosions and had seen three armed men on the trail of midwives
Ambulances and security personnel were swarming around the area, with some of the security forces appearing to have several improvised ex-members Soldiers dismantled One witness told the AFP: "In fact, in recent months, there have been several attacks in Jalalabad that killed dozens of people while US and Afghan forces continued offensive operations against militants."
Most attacks were claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group.
Government buildings are a common goal for insurgents.
The last major raid in Jalalabad occurred on July 11, when armed men raided a training center in the city, which took hours to battle with security forces
At least 11 people were killed in the attack. All were employees of the Department of Education and the director.
An IS suicide attack on a crowd of Afghan Sikhs and Hindus in Jalalabad on July 1 killed at least 19 people and injured 21.
The Taliban is Afghanistan's largest militant group and the IS has a relatively small but strong presence, mainly in the east and north of the country.
He first appeared in Afghanistan in 2014 and quickly established a stronghold in Nangarhar.
Reinforced aerial and ground operations against militants have not expelled them.