A Minnesota man whose dog was killed by a rare fungus last year struggles with the same disease that killed his dog. Parkinson's Scott Donahue, who was diagnosed with blastomycosis and was on a ventilator three times, had a tracheotomy and nasogastric tube during a three-month hospital stay.
"They told my children The second time I was on a respirator, they were supposed to bring my family together because I probably could not do it," said Donahue, a type 2 diabetic, the news agency. "It's a really serious thing and I'm happy to be here." Mushroom remains a mystery as it usually occurs in damp soils and decomposes wood and leaves. He said he did not work with soil and was not at his dock because of snow. But her dog, diagnosed with a fungal infection in 201
Symptoms of Blastomycosis Usually appear between three weeks and three months after a person inhales the fungal spores, but not everyone who is exposed becomes ill. Those who get sick may experience fever, cough, night sweats, muscle aches, weight loss, chest pain and fatigue, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). DOCTORS SAY
For Donahue, his medical problems also started with a severe cough that eventually led to vomiting. After five days of antibiotics that did not alleviate what doctors said were believed to be pneumonia, one of his sons called an ambulance.
At Essential Health in Fargo, ND, a specialist diagnosed blastomycosis with him.
"I literally spent almost three months in the same position in my hospital bed," he told Duluth News Tribune. "My back still hurts. I lost 40 pounds. I weighed 175 and had pretty big arm muscles. I use a walker and a walking stick, look like a branch and have almost no muscle tone. I turned 50 at the hospital.
He was eventually released from the hospital in July, and his twin sons moved home to help him with care, the news agency said. In addition to the physiotherapy, he received an antifungal drug, which he should take for the next year.
CLICK HERE TO OBTAIN THE FOX NEWS APP
The fungal infection is classified by the CDC as unusual, with Wisconsin usually representing the highest incidence rate. There is no vaccine that prevents the infection and, according to the CDC, it may not be possible to avoid exposure to the fungus. People with compromised immune systems should consider avoiding activities that destroy the soil in areas where the fungus may be living.