INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A 12-year-old Indiana girl who was vacationing with her family in Florida contracted rare flesh-eating bacteria that will take months to recover.
CBS affiliate WKRG-TV reported the Brown family went to a beach in Destin earlier this month when Kylei fell drastic ill.
After arriving in Florida 9. Authorities warned them to go in knee-deep, according to WKRG-TV. Kylei entered the water and had some fun.
Advertisement – Story continues below
Her mother, Michelle Brown, told WKRG-TV she had a pain in her right calf the following day, assuming it was only a charley horse.
"At that point, I had to put it on my back and carry it around," Brown said.
When they returned to Indianapolis, a doctor Michelle to take her daughter to an emergency room. According to WKRG-TV, doctors said they had an infection with Kylei's knee and were diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, a rare flesh-eating disease.
Brown said Kylei is home now, but still faces more surgeries, treatments and physical therapy so she can walk again.
In a Facebook post warning other parents, Brown said Kylei contracted the disease after scraping her toe while visiting Pompano Beach in Florida.
"We are not completely better But we are on the road to recovery, "she said. Help save someone else. "