Huawei was added to the US Government's Entity List over a week ago. Since then, every day has brought more bad news for Chinese telecommunications.
That's why we decided to ask you if you believe Huawei is in trouble. Here's what you had to say.
Do you think Huawei could survive without Android?
Averaging over 36,000 votes on the website of Android Authority Twitter and Facebook A majority of respondents who participated in the poll this week are concerned about the future of Huawei. Although the margins are thin, the comment section and the replies are full of floats as to why the company could survive or not survive this ever-growing ordeal.
At the moment it is still unclear which side is right. Huawei has been granted a limited 90-day license, valid until August. During this period, the company can stay in business with US companies. If consent is not renewed, or if Huawei is not removed from the entity list by trade-related talks with China, the company would have to implement its custom operating system and find new (non-US) business partners to make critical parts of its devices.
Here are some of the best comments from last week's poll explaining why they voted the way they did:
- In China, their biggest market, I'm sure that they will be fine. But in Europe, where they were already number two and wanted to outperform Samsung as the continent's # 1 OEM, no Android will be a big hit for them.
- In China alone, they sold over 100 million cell phones. They will survive.
- It's certainly a big blow for Huawei, how many of you will buy a phone in the near future that does not provide trusted security? You can develop or use any other operating system available on the market, but it will certainly strike a blow to Huawei. In China, market share could also fall due to strong competition. It's a big test time for Huawei …
- The ban offers Huawei the opportunity to open its own services instead of relying on Google. Only Google will lose.
- Huawei will be alright. Besides, we need more competition, just two operating systems are not enough for this big planet, imo.
- They are so tall, I think they will survive. But it will not be easy. They said that they prepared in advance for those years, so they will, as I said, be alright.
- An operating system is one thing. A full-fledged App Store with a large developer base is another. This is something that Huawei does not have and the operating system will fail.
That's it for this week, all. As always, thank you for the vote, thank you for your comments and do not forget to give us your opinion on the results below.