BERRIEN COUNTY, Michigan (WNDU) A mother and her five children are dead after a motel fire in Berrien County.
The fire started at 1:45 pm on Saturday at Cosmo Extended Stay in Sodus Township. The motel is located at 2699 S. M-139 Hwy.
The adult female victim was identified as 26-year-old Kiarre Curtis.
The five children who died in the fire were between 2 and 1
Kiarre Curtis's husband, 36-year-old Samuel Curtis and a one-year-old child escaped the motel. They were treated by four hotel guests for possible smoke poisoning.
Four first responders were also treated and released.
At the time of the fire, 27 rooms of the motel were occupied.
The American Red Cross in southwest Michigan has set up an emergency cadastre at Upton Middle School, 800 Maiden Lane. The Red Cross says the shelter will stay open as long as necessary. People affected by the fire can call the Red Cross at 269-985-3574.
About 90 percent of the rooms were damaged by smoke, fire or water.
The Michigan State Police Fire Department Marshall Division assists the Berrien County sheriff's office in determining the cause and origin of the fire.
Be sure to stay with NewsCenter16. We bring you more information as it becomes available.