NASA canceled its planned All-Women spacewalk at International Space Station this week due to limited space suits for participating astronauts.
The space walk announced earlier this month was the first to ever mark a historic moment for a spacewalk by women only.
In a statement released on Monday, NASA said its decision had been made on "space suit on the station".
Both astronauts to participate in the spacewalk, Anne McClain and Christina Koch, required a mid-sized space suit torso, but only one could be made in time for the planned event on March 29.
Koch is still planning on the spacewalk, but McClain is now being replaced by his colleague astronaut Nick Hague
The original announcement of the spacewalk received high praise earlier this month, and aerospace engineer Kristen Facciol welcomed her enthusiasm over her during the event was selected for the console. [1
The announcement of Monday, however, met with little positive reactions.
"I actually laughed when I read this, because it's just another example of the absurdity of women's lives." Amanda Turner, founding member of the Women's Equality Party, wrote on Twitter .
"NASA said fitting suits are tricky, oh ok, no gender prejudice to see people here, no, no, all."
Former Human Rights Watch program director Iain Levine said : "Welcome to the 21st Century."
"NASA can bring men to the moon and men and women into space, but claims that they can not find two space suits that suit astronauts for a spacewalk to women."