SEOUL, South Korea (AP) – Seoul says North Korea has allowed South Korean journalists to join the small group of foreign media to allow for the dismantling of its nuclear test site.
North Korea had not previously allowed South Korean journalists in the country to attend the event, which raises concerns about the prospect of recently improved ties. Their exclusion was followed by Pyongyang, who broke off high-level contact with Seoul to protest against joint US-South Korean military exercises.
The decommissioning of the North Punggye-ri nuclear test site is expected to take place between Wednesday and Friday, depending on weather conditions] The Seoul Ministry of Co-operation said North Korea had accepted the list of eight South Koreans via a cross-border communication channel.
A special flight was to bring the journalists to North Korea later on Wednesday. The other journalists arrived on Tuesday.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, transmitted, rewritten or redistributed.