North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho said Friday that Pyongyang is ready for both dialogue and confrontation with the United States, warning Washington that the continuation of sanctions would be a misperception, according to state media KCNA.
Ri also accused US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo of throwing "dark shadows" on the US North Korean talks, claiming that Pompeo is more interested in his own political ambitions than in current US foreign policy.
On Thursday, a North Korean spokesman said Pyongyang had "no interest" in the dialogue unless Washington ceased to "escalate hostile military action."
Pyongyang says the US is "hellishly focused" on sanctions, even though they are seeking a dialogue
"My impression was that North Korea and the United States would soon have a dialogue, and that would be fine," said Kim told reporters in Seoul on Thursday.
The talks between Pyongyang and Washington have stalled since the second summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un collapsed in February in Hanoi.
The couple met again in the demilitarized zone in June and agreed to resume dialogue at the working level, however, these discussions have yet to begin.
Meanwhile, North Korea has conducted several short-range missile tests in recent weeks to protest against the annual joint military exercises between the US and South Korea sample for an attack.
On Wednesday, Stephen Biegun, the US Special Representative for North Korea who leads the talks at the working level, met in Seoul for three days.
During his visit to the South Korean capital, Biegun said Washington was "ready to get involved" as soon as it learned of Pyongyang.
Washington is stationing nearly 30,000 troops in the south to defend it from its neighbor.  6] Earlier this month, Trump wrote on social media that Kim had sent him a hand-to-hand letter expressing hope that the talks would resume "as soon as the joint US-South Korean exercise ends is ".