Just days after the CDC's announcement to investigate nearly 100 cases of severe lung disease related to vaping, a Weatherford teenager tells his story.
On July 26, Tryston Zohfeld was inducted into the Cook Children's Medical Center, which looked like pneumonia.
A few days ago he had experienced fatigue, chills, shortness of breath and vomiting.
"It felt like my whole body was bending and trembling all the time, and I had cramps in my stomach and legs because of my tremors," Tryston said.
When he arrived at Cook in an ambulance, the teenager quickly went back.
"They did the X-ray Sunday morning, it was completely clouded all the way through the lungs, and they had increased its oxygen to 1
Within 48 hours of his arrival, Tryston could no longer breathe on his own.
Doctors tested him for every infection and every virus they thought was contagious, but it took a while for his cousin to arrive at Tryston's Vaping utensils.
Pediatric pulmonary physician Karen Schultze calls the increase in lung disease associated with vaping an explosion.
Last month she treated Tryston and another teenager. The CDC claims to have investigated 94 cases from across the country reported between June and August.
"Nobody has been able to tell what kind of e-cigarette or what taste or what brand or thing that brings together has led to this increase," Schultze said.
She says that Tryston's lung was so irritated that it had formed scar tissue.
Fortunately, the 17-year-old was able to recover. But now that he has lost 30 pounds with much less muscle, he still has a long road to complete recovery.
He has vowed never to pick up an e-cigarette again, and hopes others will learn from his touch of death.
] "We do not know the long-term effects, we only know the short-term effects, if the short-term effects are so bad, what can that do?" said Tryston.
He says some friends have already promised to quit his experience. He hopes that those who do not spend more time learning about the potential risks.