Toyota will build a hydrogen car that is not just outside another world – it's actually going to another world.
What has Toyota already found today? You should actually make a moon rover, that is, a vehicle to roll around on the moon.
No, it's not April or anything like that.
The world's largest car brand has signed a contract with the Japanese space research organization JAXA for the delivery of a rover designed to travel around the moon.
– The automotive industry has long been doing business with the "homeland," Toyota President Akio Toyoda said.
Toyota, who has been very lukewarm for electric cars so far, will thus help to save the earth.
This includes exploring extraterrestrial environments, and international space travel is an important issue in the climate battle.
Japan's response to NASA, JAXA, is very young and was founded only 15 years ago. But now they feel that adults are enough to help in space and will develop technologies for international space travel.
One thing they want to help with are so-called robbers, these vehicles that can move in strange worlds like the moon and the world March 19659003
The construction of a rover is quite a task.
– The gravity of the moon is one-sixth of it on earth. And then the moon has a complex terrain with craters, rocks and hills. In addition, the environment is exposed to radiation and temperature conditions that are much harder than on Earth. Besides an ultra-high vacuum environment, JAXA Vice President Koichi Wakata says.
– For a large-scale human exploration of the moon, a rover that can cover more than 10,000 kilometers in such environments is a necessity. Toyota's space mobility concept meets these requirements. Toyota and JAXA have jointly studied the concept of a manned rover since May 2018.
The Deputy President of Toyota Shigeki Terashi is looking forward to the challenge.
– We can connect new technologies with electrified cars As fuel cells and technologies we use for autonomous cars in such a lunar project. Toyota believes that a sustainable mobility community on Earth requires widespread use of electrified vehicles such as hybrid, rechargeable hybrid, battery-powered and fuel-cell electric systems. For electrification, fuel cell batteries are an indispensable technology.
Toyota is, as mentioned, lukewarm for electric cars, but has already come in 2014 with the Mirai hydrogen car.
– Fuel cell cars have a property that reduces the emission of pollutants. and we will develop this feature further.
The concept for the lunar car is 6 meters long, 5.2 meters wide and 3.8 meters high and about the size of two minibuses. The compartment is 13 square meters and is designed for two people (four people in an emergency).
And yes, it's powered by hydrogen, of course.
Here are some pictures:
Follow car24 on Facebook