WASHINGTON – A senior military officer has accused the Luftwaffe general of being the next deputy chairman of the chiefs of staff for sexual misconduct, which may jeopardize his nomination. Members of the congress have raised questions about the allegations and military investigations that did not provide sufficient evidence for his indictment.
The official told The Associated Press that General John Hyten had exposed her to a series of unwanted sexual charges by kissing, hugging and rubbing her in 2017 when she was one of his assistants. She said he tried to derail her military career after she turned him down.
The Air Force investigated the allegations of the woman she had reported days after the announcement of Hyten's nomination in April, noting that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute or recommend any administrative punishment. The prosecutor remains in the military but has taken on another job.
"My life was ruined," she told the AP.
The woman asked not to be identified by name. The AP generally does not identify those who claim to have been sexually abused.
The charges against Hyten come at a time when the Pentagon's ranks in its higher ranks have been unusually upheaval, and in the past only one defense minister officiated six months. Patrick Shanahan, one of President Donald Trump's candidates for this position, has recently withdrawn after details of his controversial divorce became known. On Sunday, an admiral, William Moran, who had been selected as chief naval officer, withdrew due to an allegedly inappropriate professional relationship. Moran said he did not want to be an "obstacle" and demanded that he retire.
It is unclear when or if Hyten's confirmation proceeding will proceed. It is not planned, although current Deputy Chairman, General Paul Selva, is expected to retire later this month.
Air Force Col. DeDe Halfhill, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said Wednesday that Hyten's nomination remains on track.
"After more than 38 years serving our country, General Hyten has proven to be a principled and dedicated patriot," she said.
A senior air force official said investigators looked through 1
The woman who made the allegations said she was also wondering if Hyten had been given special treatment because of his rank, and she feared that this could be her honesty and motives, asked about the circumstances and timing of her allegations.
The woman started working at Hyten in November 2016. Although he is a General of the Air Force, she is in another military branch that she told the AP not to reveal.
] The official said the unwanted sexual contact, kissing and hugging began in early 2017 and has occurred several times this year, working closely with Hyten. She said she repeatedly pushed him away and told him to stop.
In December 2017, when they were at the annual Reagan National Defense Forum in Southern California, Hyten came to her room in training clothes and hugged her tightly, rubbing against her, after the woman. She said she told him to go.
Hyten then asked the woman if she would report him. She said she said no to him.
The woman said she had not reported the incidents at the time to avoid embarrassment and for fear of retaliation. She also thought about retiring, and also believed that Hyten posed a risk to other members of the service.
She later learned that Strategic Command had investigated her for the incident. "venomous" leadership behavior. "
That statement surprised her, she says, because Hyten was familiar with her leadership style and" encouraged "him, having given her glowing performance reviews, some of which were audited by the AP.
I was not the most popular officer in the command. In fact, you could say that I was not popular at all, "she said," but I've been very successful in turning an organization around. "
In her interview with the AP, she showed copies of performance evaluations by Hyten in which she was interviewed by Hyten wrote that she has "unlimited potential to lead and serve as a multi-star general with distinction."
"Exceptionally competent and dedicated leader of the highest caliber," wrote Hyten, adding that "their ethics are beyond reproach.
The investigators gave her a referral letter for her leadership and she was removed from her job at Strategic Command when she retired.
Military officials at her office, however, found that her retirement was enforced and they rejected him Subsequently, she was transferred to another executive position in the Washington area.
When she moved to her position, the officer received another negative evaluation from Hyten, which she appealed against. During the appeal process, Hyten was selected for the position
The woman said she could not live with the idea that Hyten might attack anyone if he were confirmed for the job, and reported the sexual misconduct to the Defense Department's Inspector General.
There it is The case was referred to the Special Provincial Office for sexual assault charges Luftwaffe and initiated a formal investigation into Hyten. Several weeks later, General James Holmes, the investigative officer, decided not to file a complaint.
Asked if she had ever filed similar complaints, the officer said she was one of several people who reported seeing a sexual harassment commander in 2007 in Iraq.
The woman told the AP that she believed Hyten had "done the perfect crime that no one will ever believe me in."
"I have already completed a successful career," she said. "I had nothing to gain."