(CNN) – GRAPHIC: Ohio man contracts flesh-eating bacteria in FL
One incident took place in the Gulf
Barry Briggs, from Ohio, said he was ill after a Tampa boating trip in March, and was rushed into Miami Valley Hospital at Dayton after returning home.
Briggs spent 11
Luckily doctors were able to save his foot.
Briggs was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis caused by group a Streptococcus bacteria which usually enters
Briggs story came to Florida after being hospitalized at the Tampa General Hospital for a flesh-eating bacterial infection.
Mike Walton said he was poked by a fishing hook 20 miles off the coast of Palm Harbor.
"I had like little blisters starting to shape on my hand and you could watch like sweat beads coming up on the side of the hand, and then they just turned black," he
Doctors told Walton he's lucky to be alive and
"When you look down and you can see your own tendons, back in your arms," [Walton]
Walton is now recovering from the antibiotics for the next month.
Briggs raises awareness of the illness flesh-eating bacteria can do
Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare infection and there are 700 to 1
However, researchers say they are under the investigation.
Copyright 2019 CNN. All rights reserved.