BARRY COUNTY, MI – A 92-year-old man died of pneumonia after conducting a positive test for Legionnaires' Disease at the end of November, Health Leaders confirmed on Thursday.
The man was treated for the illness and discharged Spectrum Health Pennock Hospital to a rehabilitation center when he died.
Barry-Eaton District Health Department officials talked about the case, as well as about another person who was treated in September and released as they took steps to eradicate legionella-discussed bacteria from the hospital's water system.
Daniel Woodall, director of the Health Directorate of Barry-Eaton, described the case of the 92-year-old as "very complex" and said that although he had died of chronic aspiration pneumonia, it was not possible to determine if it was related to Legionnaire's disease.
On December 1
Legionnaire's disease is a type of pneumonia or pneumonia in which one out of ten people with the disease is killed, according to the Department of Health. Water at West Michigan Hospital
Symptoms include "coughing, shortness of breath, muscle aches , Headache and fever. "The disease can be treated with antibiotics.
It is believed that the bacteria are confined to the water of the hospital. The hospital uses alternative sources of water and water filtration to protect patients from the bacteria, said health department heads.