قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Science / Only 0.01% of planetary biomass is human!

Only 0.01% of planetary biomass is human!



80% of Earth's biomass are plants, 15% is the bacterium and the other 5% contain other microorganisms and animals. According to the most complete so-called "Inventory" of the Earth's biosphere, which is produced by scientists, humans do not exceed more than 0.01%, that is, only one-tenth of the planetary biomass.

The mass of 7.6 billion people on earth is now about ten times the mass of all wild animals, since since the beginning of civilization to date 83% of wild animals and 50% of plants have been destroyed. In short, since people appeared in the limelight, at least half of life on Earth has disappeared. However, viruses have three times as much biomass as humans, such as worms, fish that are 12 times larger, and fungi that are 200 times larger.

The total biomass of the earth – that is, the total mass of every living organism – is estimated at about 550 gigabytes of carbon, of which 450 gigatons are the mass of plants and 70 gigatons are the mass of bacteria. In short, plants and microorganisms dominate the biosphere of the planet.

Mushrooms that have a mass of 12 gigatons, seven gigatons are the mass of other microorganisms (archeobacteria), four gigatons are the primary (amoebae and other single-celled organisms with a nucleus), while 0.2 gigatons are viruses. Only two gigatons are the mass of all kinds of animals, including humans (we are all together 0.06 gigatons).

Although the oceans occupy 71% of the Earth's surface, total land biomass (470 gigawatts) is estimated to be nearly 80 times larger than the total biomass of the seas (six gigatons). Almost all of the plant biomass is on land, while most of the animal biomass is located on the seashore.

About 60% of the world's biomass (320 gigawatts) is located on the surface of the earth, while the remainder is below the surface (130 gigatons are the roots of plants and 100 gigabytes of underground bacteria). Most of the biomass of microorganisms (about 90%) is estimated to be located deep below the surface of the land and below the seabed of the oceans. In the oceans, 70% of the marine biomass consists of microbes, while the remaining 30% consists of arthropods and fish.

The total biomass of humans and domestic animals (predominantly cattle and pigs) is about ten times that of wild animals (0.007 gigawatts). Chickens and other poultry in poultry have an almost three times higher biomass (0.005 gigawatts) than wild birds (0.002 gigawatts).

Although humans and pets dominate in mammalian biomass, they only make up a small percentage of the total biomass from the animals (two giants), where arthropods of land and sea (1.2 gigatons) and fish (0.7 gigatons).

The researchers, led by Professor Ron Milo of the Weizman Institute of Science, Israel, who included the journal in The National Academy of Sciences of the United States (PNAS), took hundreds of studies from recent decades and combined the previous estimates with new estimates ,

As a measure of comparison, the mass of carbon that is used is a mass of life molecules, such as DNA and protein, that left the mass of water in living organisms. However, scientists admitted that their calculations have a not insignificant margin of error.

Scientists believe that all sorts of human activities over time have made significant reductions in the biomass of wild mammals, fish and plants. The total biomass of crops by humans is estimated at ten giants, that is only 2% of the total biomass of the plants.


Source link