A Pennsylvania mother was indicted on Friday after police found her daughter was dying after eating a fentanyl-soaked drink in a sippy cup
Jenea Pratt, 23, was arrested and charged with murder and child well-being Death of her daughter, Charlette Napper-Talley, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported. Police officers discovered that the 17-month-old girl was not breathing in April at Pratt's apartment in Pittsburgh's East Hills district.
On the toddler's bed, a pink beak cup with a red liquid was discovered
The child was taken to the hospital, where she later died.
The authorities carried out tests and found that Fentanyl was in Charlette's blood and in the sippy cup. On Friday, her death was classified as a homicide due to a fentanyl poisoning.
In the months leading up to the arrest on Friday, Investigator Pratt and her friend Albert Williams, who saw the girl on the day she died, discovered citing court documents. Williams said he had given the girl fish fingers and a drink in her sippy cup before picking up Pratt at school and going home. Williams left shortly after for marijuana for Pratt.
The toddler seemed to be well until Pratt gave her a drink in the sippy cup and put her to bed. The 23-year-old said she smoked marijuana before looking for her daughter an hour later and she stopped responding.
Investigators said Pratt had given the child the Fentanyl schnapps, even though Williams gave her the sippy cup before noon. If Charlette's drink contained the drug when Williams gave it to her, the girl would have died "very soon after taking [fentanyl]," the report says.
"Jhenea Pratt was the only person who was present in the afternoon hours with Charlette," the affidavit said.
Pratt also told the authorities that her daughter may have died after drinking a fruit-flavored drink that "tastes funny" to her.
The couple denied the use, transport or storage of heroin or fentanyl.