Jacqueline Larma / AP
Pennsylvania ordered the closure of its entire prison system on Wednesday after a number of its employees fell ill with suspected exposure to foul synthetic drugs, an incident in which five inmates died of overdose in Arkansas, and dozens of people with similar illnesses in Ohio State Secretary John Wetzel said the precautionary measure aims to increase the "safety and security of our employees" in recent weeks following multiple illnesses by the prison staff
"Our State Prisons, Especially those in the United States Englisch: emagazine.credit-suisse.com/app/art … = 120 & lang = en. emagazine.credit-suisse.com/app/art … = 157 & lang = DE In the western part of the state, incidents have recently occurred in which employees are sick and now we have to get to the bottom of the subject, "said Wetzel.
The state's 21 prisons remain closed to visitors indefinitely, and most postal services throughout the system have been frozen, according to The Associated Press.
Since 6 August, 29 employees in 13 different cases have become ill throughout Pennsylvania prison system, and this does not apply to inmates who have also become ill.
"This weekend was pretty tough, we've had a few more incidents in the last few days, so the secretary said it was, shut it down," Correctional spokeswoman McNaughton says NPR.
That means no inmates are being moved, "she said." They will not leave their housing unit to attend programs. They will not leave their housing unit to go to school or eat their food. Everything will happen in their cells, "says McNaughton.  So far, only synthetic cannabinoid – known as K2 or spice – has been linked to the chain of illnesses in Pennsylvania, McNaughton said.
The order, the prisons of Pennsylvania Coming out to the outside world came hours after Ohio reported that more than two dozen people were being treated for possible exposure, which the officials consider to be the powerful opiate Fentanyl.
Also in Arkansas on Wednesday Two inmates in a high security prison were killed The number of suspected drug-related deaths at the facility this week was now five, according to the state judiciary.
Arkansas officials this week have not confirmed the cause of death for the five inmates of the Varner Unit, but Reuters, citing the Department of Corrections, reports that spoiled illicit drugs are suspected.
Reuters notes, "Arkansas prisons have fought for months to h old the use of synthetic forms of marijuana, which have been linked with numerous deaths."
Prison officials told Reuters that in 2017, there are about 1,000 Would give overdose cases. And KATV reported that drug-related deaths in Arkansas state jails this year may surpass the last years:
"In 2017, there were 18 drug-related deaths, 13 of them due to K2 and one due to a combination of K2 and another illicit drug In 2018, there were eight deaths to date, including five from this week, and six were due to K2. "
In Ohio, the US Highway Patrol said 28 people from the Ross Correctional Institution in Chillicothe jail was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, including 23 law enforcement officers, four nurses and one inmate. A second RCI inmate was treated at the facility
The incident began at [9:10 Uhr] after a message When the prison officials reported that an inmate possibly overdosed with drugs, he was treated with naloxone – a drug Treatment of opioids – treated and admitted to the Adena Regional Medical Center.
The police responded to calls from RCI to an unknown substance that Lt. Robert Sellers introduced the AP was Fentanyl. Officials at the facility administered naloxone to those who showed signs of overdose.
"All RCI staff are stable and some have already done so. You were released from the hospital," the Highway Patrol said in the statement. As of Wednesday evening there were no further reports of the exposure.
"Really, what you're dealing with is that you reach and touch a surface with minimal contact, then grasp and scratch your eye, you absorb the stuff, and its potency is enormous," said Kirk Tucker, the hospital's chief clinical officer, at a press conference.
"The sickest people unmasked by this substance came unconscious and did not breathe, so they could not." Tonger's control of her airway, said Tucker.
According to the State Highway Patrol, there was a whole cell block The inmates were all "transferred to other safe areas of the facility."
Samples of the unknown substance were collected so that they could be tested and identified.