قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / Pentagon extends deployment of troops on the Mexican border until September

Pentagon extends deployment of troops on the Mexican border until September



The deployment of active US troops on the Mexican border is likely to be extended to September, the Pentagon said Monday.

The Pentagon border mission was previously scheduled for December 15 and the turnaround The Ministry of Defense extended the deployment later to January. Then came the announcement from Monday.

In a rare use of military force, first announced in October, the Trump administration sent around 5,900 active troops, who joined forces with border guards and members of the National Guard as a caravan of Central American migrants to make their way towards the United States.

The movement was considered by many to be an unnecessary political scare as the midterm elections neared. Border and military officials insisted that the caravan posed a serious threat.

On Monday, the Pentagon said its "support" will continue until September 30 at the request of the Department of Homeland Security and support will focus on "mobile surveillance" and detection and placement of concertina cables between inbound ports.

It is not clear how many troops are currently at the border or how the number will change – a Pentagon official said in November that the number is expected to fall below the originally used 5,900. The Pentagon did not answer any further questions about Monday's announcement.

Enlargement came about as Honduras formed a new caravan for wanderers and Mr. Trump's different visions of border security led to the Federal Government's longest closure in American history.

Mr. Trump continues to campaign for a wall to stem the border he calls the "border crisis".

The reality, however, is more complicated.

Illegal border crossings date back nearly two decades, and arrivals at border crossings in 2017 were at their lowest levels in more than 45 years.


Source link