The Department of Defense confirmed Thursday that Trump's White House and Secretary of Defense James Mattis had begun talks about channeling billions from the Pentagon boxes into the government's Border Guard program.
Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White told reporters Thursday Mattis and Mr. Trump discussed the issue of how to deduct Federal Defense and National Security funds for the White House plan to build a new border wall along the US-Mexico border ,
"You may have talked about the proposal," she said during a press conference at the Department of Defense. "Securing the Americans and securing the nation is paramount – of the utmost importance to the secretary ̵
White's comments came days after recent reports claimed that Mr. Trump is considering moving an undisclosed portion of the Ministry of Defense's funds earmarked for department operations in the recently-approved Omnibus spending package towards Borderwall efforts
. Trump had reportedly banned the $ 1.3 trillion, nonpartisan expense bundle that provided billions for new weapons and training for US forces, as the new frontier walls were inadequate.
The Commander-in-Chief finally signed the massive spending This law will come into force earlier this month, but not before it blows up to dispel its frustration over the lack of financial support for the government's immigration and border security agenda. During the televised press conference, Mr. Trump promised never to sign a similar spending package in the law, unless the federal legislators had addressed the White House's demands for the border wall project.
Shortly thereafter, Mr. Trump stoked speculation that he would look to military treasury to fund the border project, chanting that the border wall is "all about national defense" and that the US is building "WALL through M"! Two advisors said the Washington Post that "M" stood for "military". 19659002] On Thursday, Ms. White repeatedly refused to comment on the nature of the discussions between Mr. Mattis and Mr. Trump on the options of the Pentagon to fund the Border Wall program.
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said on Tuesday that Mr. Trump will ensure that every action he takes to build the wall is "complete in his rights and executive power."
"I can not go into the details here," she told reporters. "But I can tell you that the continuation of the construction of the Wall is still ongoing and we will continue to progress in this process."