Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Sunday that the temporary ban on going to work in Kuwait is now permanent and heightened diplomatic confrontation with the treatment of migrant workers in the Gulf nation.
The crisis intensified after Kuwait authorities summoned Manila's envoy to leave the country yesterday via videos of Filipino embassy officials. Kuwait allegedly flees abusive employers.
The two nations negotiated an employment contract that Philippine officials allegedly would lift the ban, but the recent escalation of tensions has cast doubt on an agreement.
"The ban remains" There will be no recruitment for particularly domestic helpers. Not anymore, "Duterte told reporters in his hometown in the southern city of Davao.
About 262,000 Filipinos work in Kuwait, nearly 60 percent of them domestic workers, according to the Philippine Department for Foreign Affairs
Last week, the Philippines apologized for the rescue videos. but Kuwaiti officials announced that they would evict Manila's ambassadors and reminisce about their
Duterte on Sunday described the situation in Kuwait as a "disaster" oil-rich state.
"I would like to respond to their patriotism: Come home. No matter how poor we are, we will survive. The economy is doing well and we have too little work, "he said.
About 10 million Filipinos work abroad to find high-paying jobs they could not find at home, and their transfers are an important pillar of the Philippines [DutertesaidthatworkerswhoreturnedfromKuwaitcouldfindemploymentasEnglishteachersinChinacitingimprovedrelationswithBeijing
China was a "true friend," he said.
Duterte added that he is not after "revenge" against Kuwait and "hates no hatred."
"But if my people are a burden to some of them, to a government charged with protecting them and upholding their rights, then we will do our part, "he said.
Duterte said he would bring Filipino housemaids suffering from abuse