MANILA (Reuters) – The Philippines on Tuesday formally apologized to Kuwait for actions in the wake of the sovereignty of the Asian nation's embassy "rescued" several overseas workers from employers' homes, the foreign secretary said. [1
Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said Kuwait has accepted the Philippines' explanation after the Kuwaiti ambassador met Rodrigo Duterte on Monday in southern Davao city and held talks with Cayetano on Tuesday in Manila.
"We're sending a note to my counterpart, and we are apologizing for certain incidents that Kuwait views the violation of their sovereignty, "Cayetano told an impromptu news conference.
He said measures had been agreed wi The two countries are working on a job to protect overseas workers after the Philippines in January
Rights groups say the "kafala" system, millions of workers in the country region open to exploitation.
Cayetano said the embassy was forced to "assist" Filipino workers who were trying to leave because some situations were a matter of life and death that precluded waiting for loca
"We respect Kuwaiti sovereignty and laws, but the welfare of Filipino workers is so very important," he said, adding that more than 65 percent of the more than 260,000 Filipinos in Kuwait.
There are 600 workers in embassy-run halfway houses in Kuwait, Cayetano added, with about 120 more who have so-called "rescued" from employers due to tough working conditions, pay and abuse.
(Reporting by Manuel Mogato; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)