Detective Pikachu is almost there, and that means it's time for Pokemon Go to go all-in for a cross-over event – and there's even the option to become a detective Pikachu [19459004zuerwischen] by yourself.
As it turns out, the movie is actually pretty good, so it feels right to celebrate it in Go. The Pokemon Go Detective Pikachu event has a number of different bonuses, including changes to Pokemon spawns, special raids, cinematic research missions, double-catch XP, a new shiny Pokemon, and, as previously mentioned, the option of a Detective Hat Pikachu yourself catch – though by very specific means.
The Detective Pikachu event lasts until Friday, May 1
How to Find Detective Pikachu in Pokemon Go
In the movie and the original Nintendo 3DS game there are two things Detective Pikachu put apart. They are both pretty obvious. For one thing, Detective Pikachu can talk about what's part of the mystery of detective mystery in the movie. But also, and perhaps more importantly, Detective Pikachu wears a hat. And we all know how much Nietwa's developer at Pokemon Go likes to put on Pikachu hats.
If you want to catch a Detective Pikachu in Pokemon Go you can do that now – but only for a limited time and only during this special event. Unlike the hat-capped Pikachu, this is not just a chance to spawn in the wild – you need to put in a bit more work.
It's pretty easy to catch a cute Pikachu in Detective Hat. All in all – the method is the same one used to catch the rare and malicious artist Pokemon Smeargle in Pokemon Go. Smeargle is only visible through the game's Augmented Reality camera – so you'll need to take photos of other Pokémon you've already caught. If you're lucky, a photo bomb will suddenly show you in a photo you took. The same goes for Detective Pikachu.
Here are the instructions summarized:
- Open the snapshot of the camera either from the camera's Elements menu or by pressing the camera key on a Pokemon profile page.
- Take pictures of Pokemon. Take as many as you want. If you back up your photos, you may have the chance to meet Detective Pikachu or Smeargle in one of your photos in a funny pose. The game will be a big deal if this happens; Just keep taking photos.
- When you photobomb your photo, you return to the map – there on the map you now have the opportunity to connect and catch it, just like any other wild encounter.
- There is a limit of 1 Detective Pikachu per day. There is no shiny shape to wear the hat.
- He …
- That's it.
Detective Pikachu Field Research & Rewards
Every month there is an update to the game that adjusts the alignment of Pokemon Go Field Research missions and rewards. May is no different and offers a variety of quests and rewards that capture the legendary and mythical Pokémon Latias, Latios, Ho-Oh and Lugia. However, Detective Pikachu is a huge event – and that means it has its own list of Detective Pikachu Field Research Missions and Rewards .
These quests and rewards are pretty cool and they use Pokemon from the movie. The quest names might confuse you if you have not seen Detective Pikachu or the trailers, as the quests refer to Pokemon in the movie and ask you to catch a certain pokemon with some abstract descriptions. This is a little different from other missions. An important reward here is a guaranteed Ditto, which can help you to go through special research questions for Celebi and Mew. Without this quest, a Ditto must be caught, it's pure, blind luck, so this is a great time to complete the quest objectives.
For all Pokémon to challenge, the spawn rate will be increased for the duration of this quest until May 17.
|Field research mission||Target||Reward|
|Catch the seed Pokémon seen walking in a river||Catch Bulbasaur||Treecko encounter|
|Catch the Fire Evolution of Eevee  Catch Flareon||Encounter with Arcanine|
|Catch the Water-type Pokemon in Backpack||Catch Psyduck||Magikarp Encounter|
|Catch 10 Jigglypuff, Aipom or Snubbull  Dito encounter (disguised as Zubat)|
Shiny Aipom and Ambipom, plus increased chance to catch Shiny Snubbull, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Psyduck, Cubone
. Another bonus of the Detective Pikachu event is how to talk about the event bonuses gives you a better choice to catch a shiny Pokemon. The spawns are raised for all the Pokemon featured in the movie, and this includes Pokemon with a shiny shape. While the gloss rate does not increase, more Snubbull or Psyduck out there means more opportunities for one of them to shine.
There is also a completely new Shiny, Aipom which means that he and his development Ambipom now have Shiny Pokemon Go-forms. Aipom is also one of the Pokémon with increased spawn rates.
Bonuses and Changes for Detective Pikachu Events
Apart from the two big bonuses mentioned above, there are other rewards and changes to Pokemon Go for the duration of the Detective Pikachu Event (which will run until May 17 at 13 Clock Pacific time repeated). Here are some of the other bonuses you can expect:
- Some Pokemon from the movie appear in Pokemon Gym Raids . Take a look at our list of Pokémon Go raid bosses to find out who and what weaknesses. These include Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Psyduck, Cubone, and Snubbull, all of which have shiny variations to complete the Pokemon Go Shiny checklist, as well as Jigglypuff and others.
- Speaking of Shiny Pokemon: There Is A New One – Aipom . Aipom has a big role in the movie, and its glossy form now shows up with standard rarity (so very rare).
- Catch Experience / XP doubles for the duration of the event which means faster
- There are a selection of special Detective Pikachu items that are for sale in the store . These include avatar elements like hats and shirts.