Receive breaking news and special reports. The news and stories that mattered provided the day of the week in the morning.
To Dennis Romero
The suspect behind the mosque's unprecedented attack in Christchurch New Zealand was on its way to a third target when it was intercepted by authorities, police commissioner said Mike Bush at a press conference on Wednesday.
"We are firmly convinced that we stopped him on his way to another attack," he said. "So our employees were saved their lives, brave in their interventions."
The commissioner said the police went to the third alleged target on Friday to search for explosives. Bush would not say if the third location was a mosque or anything else, but he described it as being in the region where Christchurch is located – "actually all over Canterbury."
"We absolutely believe that we know where he wanted to go," said the commissioner. [Sagittarius] The shooter killed 50 people when he opened the fire during Friday prayers in two mosques, Masjid Al Noor and Dar Al Hijrah. The mosques are almost three miles apart in Christchurch. Bush said the officers arrived at the scene within five minutes and 39 seconds, and "within 21 minutes, the person in detention was arrested."
The Muslim faith demands a speedy funeral, and Bush said the authorities worked feverishly on all the fallen to identify, sometimes with the help of visual confirmation of relatives. According to NBC News coverage, 22 of the victims were identified by officials and relatives.
Bush said 21 had been "formally" identified.
The investigators worked with international law enforcement, including the FBI, "to create a comprehensive picture of this person, which we will present to the court," the commissioner said about the alleged shooter. A father and a son who fled the civil war in Syria to become "the safest country in the world" were buried Wednesday at the first funerals for the victims of the massacre.
The funerals of 44-year-old Khalid Mustafa and 15-year-old Hamza Mustafa followed five days after a White Suprematist gunned down 50 trailers in two mosques in Christchurch. a massacre, which he transmitted live on Facebook.
Brenton Harrison Tarrant has been charged with murdering the attack, but is expected to face additional charges. The 28-year-old Australian is kept in isolation in a jail in Christchurch.
Of three others arrested in the chaos of the first reaction, Bush said a woman had been released without charge and two men had been charged with gun violations, but had nothing to do with the violence.